Notices

Options on rear shock replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2011, 01:17 PM
scottydwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options on rear shock replacement??

Just had 4 year/40k service done on my 2007 Hawkeye WRX. The dreaded knocking etc. had recently started from the back end so I half expected it when they told me that the rear shocks were shot to pieces and needed replacing.
Now the car is still under warranty (not Subaru) but it is a pretty good warranty so I will be ringing up on monday to try and put the claim in.

However the Subaru dealership have quoted £900 inc VAT & labour (2 hours).

Question is if the warranty co do not cough up what are my other options and likely costs i.e. are there some good non-subaru aftermarket options to reduce the cost - I would like to keep it as a standard set up.

Thanks
Old 06 June 2011, 06:53 PM
JohnWRX06
Scooby Newbie

I believe any shock from 2001-2004 STI will fit, such as these:

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1675

Don't quote me on that though , I think you would also need sti springs too. I don't know of any shocks that will fit with the current springs other that genuine Subaru.

Last edited by JohnWRX06; 06 June 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06 June 2011, 10:51 PM
scottydwrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply

So are you saying that I need new springs to fit the non-Subaru struts?

Chatting to my local Subaru dealer today he reckons that there are no aftermarket standard replacements for the 06-07 2.5 WRX struts and I don't think he was fobbing me off either as he has supplied & fitted them on the older models for people as a cheaper option.

Can anyone else confirm if the STi struts would fit?
Old 06 June 2011, 11:31 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Only replacement dampers for the rear of 04-07 WRX is a Koni insert or Öhlins fixed perch. Neither KYB (AGX) nor Tokico (D-Spec) made dampers after the bug eye run.

STi struts would fit but your handling would be very wonky, especially if you use your OEM springs. they would be overdamped. If you used STi springs on the rear, you'd have a much higher spring and damper rate back there over OEM. It would just be a poorly balanced poor riding solution. You can only use front STi struts till 04. 05 they changed to the 114.5 hubs and wider clevis for the front strut. You can, if you're feeling frisky, buy an STi strut setup from, say an 04 or 03, then buy struts from an 07 and install those fresher damper inserts into the older housings. I imagine both should be easy and cheap to find.

Other solution would be to get AGX's or DSpecs and use what's called a "Scooby921" spacer. Basically it fills up the difference between the old style spigot and new style allowing you to use the newer springs and tophats. You'll have to contact Turn In Concepts in the US for them. A lot of folks using them there. Opens up the damper possibilities tremendously.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 07 June 2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07 June 2011, 06:04 PM
scottydwrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I have looked at the Koni site and they do cover the 07 Hawkeye WRX

http://www.koni.uk.com/home/index.ph...262&Itemid=296

But looking at the rears and hovering over the diamond symbol it comes up with the following:

Special Macpherson insert, for sealed struts bolted to the bottom after cutting the housing and removal of original inner parts. To be used in original struts only.

WTF does this mean! - I take it these are not a direct replacement??
Old 07 June 2011, 06:19 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Euro car parts are advertising Sachs rear shocks for £134 a side. Link below put your reg number in and look for shock absorbers.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/
Old 07 June 2011, 06:46 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

The koni's are not direct replacement, they are inserts.i.e. cut and gut:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...t=koni+install
Old 07 June 2011, 06:59 PM
RRP1STI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi mate,try A to Z motor spares 01924 451277,I had a pair of KYB rear,s for my 2005 sti,widetrack with 114.3 pcd,they maybe the same for a hawk????,worth a call??I know they will prob need doing again in a couple of years but they are doin the job for now
Old 07 June 2011, 08:45 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

That would be great if Sachs made a cheap OEM type replacement. But yes, worst comes to worst throw on a low mileage take off set from another WRX.

edit: I think KYB also has the GR2 in 04+ fitment and that is basically OEM level of damping.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 08 June 2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08 June 2011, 11:23 AM
JohnWRX06
Scooby Newbie

Yeah I should have said if you fitted 03-04 sti struts then you'd really need to replace all 4 corners with them.
Old 08 June 2011, 10:59 PM
scottydwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
Euro car parts are advertising Sachs rear shocks for £134 a side. Link below put your reg number in and look for shock absorbers.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/
Mmmm interesting they do seem to have some for the 06-07 WRX. Anyone know for sure if these fit and are a direct replacement and will fit with existing springs?

So the other options seem to be:

1) Pay the ridiculous price for OEM Subaru replacements
2) Go for the Koni inserts which seems a bit of a job - can I still use the same springs?
3) Take a chance on some low mileage used ones

Unless anyone else knows any other aftermarket solution?? Cannot believe with such a well documented failure rate of the standard Subaru ones that no-one else offers an alternative for the 06-07 model!!

Also do the Subaru complete struts come with the Strut Mounts or are these a separate item? Should they be replaced at the same time?

Last edited by scottydwrx; 08 June 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11 June 2011, 09:30 PM
firesorter
Scooby Regular

call Becky at :http://www.carnetix.co.uk/ whilst i have not had mine done i know they have lots of experience with this issue.

perhaps you`d keep us upto date, after holiday i need to do this also
Old 11 June 2011, 10:17 PM
richgreenscooby1
Scooby Regular

Or get a full set of bc's for about 900 fully fitted and set up
Old 12 June 2011, 08:53 AM
scottydwrx
Scooby Regular

Latest update:

My local independant garage has been looking into this direct with some of the suspension reps.

For the 06-07 WRX the part number for left rear strut is 20361FE3529L and right rear is 20361FE3429L.

Sachs have replacements listed in their catalogue at http://webcat-services.zf.com/index.asp?SPR=4 they are listed for model year 05 onwards. Apparently though there was a slight change in part numbers between 05-06 models and 06-07 models so when the Sachs technical department has been contacted they do not appear to have a replacement for the equivalent 06-07 Subaru part number so still not 100% sure if these will fit

However contacting KYB tech dept. direct (who I believe manufactured the OEMs) and giving them the 06-07 model Subaru part number they do have a replacement that is not currently listed in their catalogue. I am guessing that this is effectively the OEM part that Subaru now supply.

The difference is in the price!:
At Subaru Dealership: £929 fitted incl VAT
At local using KYB replacements: £545 fitted incl VAT

So I think the KYB replacements is the way I am heading (provided I get a reasonable guarantee/warranty period on them) Unfortunately due to the issues in Japan there are none in the country but the next batch is due for delivery next month.

One further question though: Is it advisable to fit new strut mounts at the same time as again these are pretty expensive at £99 +VAT each side from Subaru. Do these usually or likely to show signs of wear and contribute to the problem?? My car has only done 25k miles

Thanks
Old 12 June 2011, 09:05 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been looking into replacement struts recently and the KYB's are not the same as OE ones.

They are quite a decent damper, but, I am very reliably informed they are very temperature dependent. When cold they are too harsh, after about 10 mins or so of driving they are quite nice, but after a bit of hooning they overheat and loose quite a bit of damping

Arnie may be able to corroborate