Notices

03 STI Prodrive suspension how good is it??

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2011, 05:31 PM
sam89
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 STI Prodrive suspension how good is it??

Now then looking to upgrade my blobeye wrx suspension have been offered some STI struts with the prodrive lowered 35mm spring for £300 is this a good price? And Is it any good? Would i be able to tell much difference.
much appreciate it if you could help me cheers.
Old 26 April 2011, 08:06 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sam89
Now then looking to upgrade my blobeye wrx suspension have been offered some STI struts with the prodrive lowered 35mm spring for £300 is this a good price? And Is it any good? Would i be able to tell much difference.
much appreciate it if you could help me cheers.
If the struts are reasonably low mileage £300 would be a fair price.
I recently did the exact same up-grade with my Blob-eye wagon.
The car sits 30mm lower and the handling has firmed up all around.
I can't comment fully upon how much better they are over standard wrx at the moment as I fitted them myself and just waiting to have the re-alighnment done. Suffice to say the struts look a substantial bit of kit over the wrx stuff which I found wanting with the increases in power.
On the sedan I think it's a straight swop useing the original cleavis bolts, unlike the wagon were I had to source after-market camber bolts for the lower front strut cleavis to regain negative camber.
Trev
Old 26 April 2011, 10:09 PM
johnnymoore
Scooby Newbie

Hi, i have a 2005 wrx sti type uk, i bought a suspension set off a WR1 Sti 2004 model with prodrive springs, the rear shocks fit ok, but the fronts look identical but the part of the shock where it attaches with the 2 bolts to the hub is too narrow, the hub on the vehicle is 30mm wide but the shock slot is only 26mm, can any one advise!!!!
Johnny
Old 27 April 2011, 09:45 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For £300 I'd be tempted to save a little more and go for BC coilovers mate.
The STI struts are prone to knocking problems, and as stated if they're high mileage you'll probably find they're not as good as you were hoping for.

In answer to the WR1 question, I know that the hawkeye shocks are a slightly different design to the bug and blob models and that not all parts are interchangeable, but not sure about the later blob models.
James @ Greenwood Racing Developments should be able to help as he has good knowledge on this.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 27 April 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 27 April 2011, 09:51 AM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnymoore
Hi, i have a 2005 wrx sti type uk, i bought a suspension set off a WR1 Sti 2004 model with prodrive springs, the rear shocks fit ok, but the fronts look identical but the part of the shock where it attaches with the 2 bolts to the hub is too narrow, the hub on the vehicle is 30mm wide but the shock slot is only 26mm, can any one advise!!!!
Johnny
Think you can't put the suspension from a later car with the wider track onto an earlier car and vice versa. Sure the wr1 is 5x100 rather than 5x114