Notices

Is my car to low ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2011, 09:18 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is my car to low ?

hi got a bugeye sti with bc coilovers fitted its sitting at 320mm from the centre of the hub to the wheel arch is this to low ? what should it be ?
Old 23 January 2011, 09:32 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tein suggest 345mm F and 340 mm R.
Old 23 January 2011, 09:52 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by welder029
hi got a bugeye sti with bc coilovers fitted its sitting at 320mm from the centre of the hub to the wheel arch is this to low ? what should it be ?
i've got the same car with bc's on mate will get the tape out tomorrow and get back to you
Old 23 January 2011, 10:05 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys a asked BC when a got them and was told its really up to me didnt tell me a size , a feel its to low
Old 23 January 2011, 10:45 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys a asked BC when a got them and was told its really up to me didnt tell me a size , a feel its to low
scoobyworld fitted mine looks low, will post the hight tomorrow mate
Old 23 January 2011, 11:05 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

a bought mine from scoobyworld they told me to phone BC lol
Old 24 January 2011, 12:00 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Too low for what? Depends on what you want to do with your car. If you just want it slammed for boulevard cruising, your car probably looks pretty dope where it is.

If however, you care about performance and decent suspension geometry, I'd raise it up quite a bit. I personally use front 370mm rear 360mm (center of hub to guard). Doesn't look that great, but handles, very, very well when paired with decent camber and toe.

Trending Topics

Old 24 January 2011, 12:05 AM
welder029
Scooby Regular

dont really care how it looks want it to drive the way a rally car should not worry that am gonna bottom out on back roads when a get the foot down and go over bumps
Old 24 January 2011, 12:21 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

What other suspension mods do you have? ARB's, etc.? What tires do you have and how do you drive you car? what spring rate setup did you get?

The higher ride height will help but the usual BC setup is pretty short stroke and stiffly sprung. Not ideal on the usual b road blast. Apex supposedly has softer sprung, longer stroke versions, but I don't know the spec.

Its unfortunate to know that ScoobyWorld would send you out the door that way unless you specifically asked for that. The BCs out of the box are set up pretty low for packaging reasons (makes for a smaller box). the couple of times i have installed BCs I've had to raise them quite a bit. Same with TEINs. Personally find TEINs ride height recs ridiculously low too. But that's just my taste and experience.

Don't forget, your car isn't a rally car. Its a production vehicle and the rally car is simply based on it. Its not caged, doesn't have any bracing nor any of the fanciness of a race car. Keep that in mind when you're blasting through the twisties feeling like your "AWD Rally Car" will save you from bad driving.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 24 January 2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 24 January 2011, 10:42 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I set my 03 STi with Apex (BC) to 355mm front and 345mm rear centre to wheelarch. I would certainly not go any lower (especially with the STi lip at the front!)

JohnD
Old 24 January 2011, 05:44 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
What other suspension mods do you have? ARB's, etc.? What tires do you have and how do you drive you car? what spring rate setup did you get?

The higher ride height will help but the usual BC setup is pretty short stroke and stiffly sprung. Not ideal on the usual b road blast. Apex supposedly has softer sprung, longer stroke versions, but I don't know the spec.

Its unfortunate to know that ScoobyWorld would send you out the door that way unless you specifically asked for that. The BCs out of the box are set up pretty low for packaging reasons (makes for a smaller box). the couple of times i have installed BCs I've had to raise them quite a bit. Same with TEINs. Personally find TEINs ride height recs ridiculously low too. But that's just my taste and experience.

Don't forget, your car isn't a rally car. Its a production vehicle and the rally car is simply based on it. Its not caged, doesn't have any bracing nor any of the fanciness of a race car. Keep that in mind when you're blasting through the twisties feeling like your "AWD Rally Car" will save you from bad driving.
Scoobyworld didnt fit them just supplied them tho was surprized when a was told they couldnt tell me what height to set them at and to phone bc there just set to the height they were when they came out the box , ano its not a real rally car lol but to be fair its a bit better than a standard production car , had subarus for a few years not planning on killing myself on back roads
anyway car has a whiteline rear arb set to the stiffest setting , whiteline droplinks, bump steer kit , cant remember what spring rate 4/5 maybe not sure just the standard one they sell
Old 24 January 2011, 07:22 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Good to hear! Its just fair warning to anyone new to this thread and to these cars. You can get WRX's quite cheap nowadays and I think there are a lot of people who are expecting the car to be a rally car, i.e. invincible. lol Just being exrtra cautious, you understand.

Yes, as I mentioned above, the way the suspension is shipped is usually at its more compact dimension, simply for packaging. So people be aware when buying and installing these as you will usually need to adjust the ride height higher after you get them out of the box.

Hmm, that is indeed sad to hear about Scoobyworld and their lack of info, or at least opinion on what would be good for a basic fast road setup.

Yes, try setting your height up as per suggested. You'll want to try something between JohnD's setup and my suggestions as we are at about the oppposite ends of what I'd use on your car. Your happy medium will be someplace between those two suggestions. You will probably notice lots more negative camber in the rear.

BC has their rear clevis holes mounted a bit odd and they are slightly slotted which tend to give way more neg camber than with stock struts. Its been awhile since Ive installed a set so I can't be sure how slotted they are. So I'm not sure if you will need an aftermarket camber bolt or just push/pull the wheel when aligning, to get things to a proper rear camber spec. Worth jacking your rear up, loosening the rear two big 19mm clevis bolts and seeing how much play is in there for adjustment. If there isnt much then I'd suggest getting some camber bolts and having your geometry looked at again.
Old 24 January 2011, 07:31 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

Good to hear! Its just fair warning to anyone new to this thread and to these cars. You can get WRX's quite cheap nowadays and I think there are a lot of people who are expecting the car to be a rally car, i.e. invincible. lol Just being exrtra cautious, you understand.

Yes, as I mentioned above, the way the suspension is shipped is usually at its more compact dimension, simply for packaging. So people be aware when buying and installing these as you will usually need to adjust the ride height higher after you get them out of the box.

Hmm, that is indeed sad to hear about Scoobyworld and their lack of info, or at least opinion on what would be good for a basic fast road setup.

Yes, try setting your height up as per suggested. You'll want to try something between JohnD's setup and my suggestions as we are at about the oppposite ends of what I'd use on your car. Your happy medium will be someplace between those two suggestions. You will probably notice lots more negative camber in the rear.

BC has their rear clevis holes mounted a bit odd and they are slightly slotted which tend to give way more neg camber than with stock struts. Its been awhile since Ive installed a set so I can't be sure how slotted they are. So I'm not sure if you will need an aftermarket camber bolt or just push/pull the wheel when aligning, to get things to a proper rear camber spec. Worth jacking your rear up, loosening the rear two big 19mm clevis bolts and seeing how much play is in there for adjustment. If there isnt much then I'd suggest getting some camber bolts and having your geometry looked at again.
when a got it set up was told a didnt need camber boltsat the rear , dunno tho , soon realize your not invinsible in an sti the first time the back end gets away from you on a rounabout lol especially in the wet lol
Old 24 January 2011, 07:44 PM
Lofty91
Scooby Regular

Just had mine (BC's) set up and the rear camber bolts were not needed, a combination of the slotted holes and lower ride hight resulted in "enough" rear camber for the road.

Mine is a blob sti and i've gone 20mm lower than standard setup which seems to be a good balance of looks and practicality.

Take your time and find what works for you, your driving style and the roads you drive on
Old 24 January 2011, 08:16 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

Had a look at mine tonight the front is 360 and rear 330 looks dam good too...
Old 24 January 2011, 09:27 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TIZERBOY
Had a look at mine tonight the front is 360 and rear 330 looks dam good too...
a thought there should only be a 10 mm different from the back to the front roughly
Old 24 January 2011, 09:50 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Welder - do you have a print out of your alignment that you can post?
Old 24 January 2011, 10:12 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

a do not
Old 24 January 2011, 10:34 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Thats ok, we'll see what you get after you raise your ride height. You'll need another alignment anyway.
Old 24 January 2011, 10:52 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

Thats ok, we'll see what you get after you raise your ride height. You'll need another alignment anyway.
think al try 360 front 350 back
Old 24 January 2011, 10:54 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

a thought there should only be a 10 mm different from the back to the front roughly
Ideally, there should be a very slight nose down attitude. The 10mm difference should give this on the blobeye. if Tizerboys car is a blob, I would suggest the rear is too low? The front sounds ok so I would take the rear up 20mm (10 turns of the strut!)

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 24 January 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 24 January 2011, 11:04 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Ideally, there should be a very slight nose down attitude. The 10mm difference should give this on the blobeye. if Tizerboys car is a blob, I would suggest the rear is too low? The front sounds ok so I would take the rear up 20mm (10 turns of the strut!)

JohnD
she's a JDM sti bugeyed mate BC's fitted at scoobyworld car looks level now...
Old 25 January 2011, 10:45 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

definitely rear should be 10mm higher - subarus handle much better with a bit of positive rake like that.