Notices

Bushes + strut brace

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2011, 01:56 AM
dj_akademix
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushes + strut brace

I'm thinking of adding a strut brace and uprated bushes to my otherwise standard GB270 wagon.

Does anyone know if there is any point in doing this as a cheap upgrade and whether it will make any noticeable improvement to the handling?
Old 22 January 2011, 10:29 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

A rear strut brace will have minor improvements to the rear end of the car, but not whole lot if your suspension is stock all around. Bushings, like Whiteline Plus, etc. will make a significant improvement in handling precision and braking improvement. but while the bushings themselves are relatively inexpensive, the labor costs to install a complete set can be high.

biggest bang for the buck is a rear anti-roll bar and endlinks. I'd personally install a front as well. I use 24mm F/R adjustable Whiteline anti-roll bars on my wagon. They only have a 22mm front for the wagon. I can use the Sedan 24mm front because I did a front sedan conversion (sedan control arms and swaybar, endlinks). But adjustable 22 F/24 R with endlinks is a great combo.
Old 23 January 2011, 05:59 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

As above. Whiteline 22/24mm anti roll bar with solid droplinks will transform the car. Strut brace will make little or no difference.
Old 23 January 2011, 09:10 PM
dj_akademix
Scooby Regular

Thanks Gents - by shear luck I've found Courtenay Sport - a whiteline dealer just outside Norwich who I've contacted to see if they can supply the items.

Thanks for the pointers - i'm excited to see how it goes!
Old 27 January 2011, 08:57 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Let us know how much for the parts, we may know of somewhere cheaper. Bob
Old 28 January 2011, 02:43 AM
dj_akademix
Scooby Regular

I've been quoted the following:

The front bar BSF12Z will be £148.95
The rear bar BSR36XZ will be £168.50
KLC31 drop link kit £169.95

plus 145 for fitting.

How does that sound? I'm tempted by just getting the rear done first - a good idea or should i just go whole hog and do the lot? Will it affect the towing ability of my car - i tow a 1000kg trailer too and from trackdays but love to take the prez around when i get there.
Old 28 January 2011, 08:15 AM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj_akademix
I've been quoted the following:

The front bar BSF12Z will be £148.95
The rear bar BSR36XZ will be £168.50
KLC31 drop link kit £169.95

plus 145 for fitting.

How does that sound? I'm tempted by just getting the rear done first - a good idea or should i just go whole hog and do the lot? Will it affect the towing ability of my car - i tow a 1000kg trailer too and from trackdays but love to take the prez around when i get there.
Have you checked the whiteline website, i think you can get them a bit cheaper on there.

Also save yourself £145 and fit them yourself.

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2011, 09:57 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

I agree, buy some ramps and install them yourself (if you have the space). You just need some basic spanners and sockets to install the rear swaybar. Front swaybar is more involved, as you have to remove more stuff, but its not technically difficult. Do a search for installing swaybars and see if you are up for it. Just take your time and have a mate along to give a hand and 2nd opinion.

You can buy and install the rear bar first. Just run it in the softest setting till you get the front bar in. Personally, i prefer to install one bit at a time so that you learn and understand what changes the component makes. But if you're having a shop install then that can get a bit pricey and sometimes you don't have time to keep going back to a place to install.

Do you have any local Subaru enthusiasts who might have install days at their homes? That's also a great way to meet friends and learn how to work on your car.
Old 28 January 2011, 10:12 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s70rjw
As above. Whiteline 22/24mm anti roll bar with solid droplinks will transform the car. Strut brace will make little or no difference.
Unless it's a proper solid jobbie and not a flimsy tart part from ebay.

If you want a proper Front strut Brace I have the best you can buy up for sale...

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...rut-brace.html

Bracing the struts along with stiffening the ARB's completes a box top and bottom giving much improved rigidity and handling