Notices

Will 2002 UKSTI stuts and Eibachs lowering springs fit 2002 WRX WAGON

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2011, 05:32 PM
Martin.dean1981
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 2002 UKSTI stuts and Eibachs lowering springs fit 2002 WRX WAGON

Please help...... Will the shocks and Eibachs lowering springs from a 2002 bugeye UKSTI Prodrive fit on to a bugeye WRX 2002 wagon. I have tried ringing a Subaru dealers but they are unsure but think there shouldnt be a problem. Hopefully 1 of you guys/girls can help. My rears are knacked and I am needing to know. I can get the STI's all 4 front and backs at a reseaonable price and really want them but will they fit?
Old 21 January 2011, 05:40 PM
Martin.dean1981
Scooby Newbie

The STI is a saloon and the WRX is a wagon
Old 21 January 2011, 10:14 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

They will physically bolt right up. The lower clevis hole position is different between a sedan a wagon. You will lose negative camber in the front. You'll only be able to get a maximum of about -.8 deg. Rear camber you will also lose a wee bit, you'll sit at around -1.5 or so. Rear tophats will also match right up (if you don't get the complete assemblies). You will also get a bit of a saggy butt because wagon rear springs have a bit more free length to make up for the added weight. So using sedan springs like the Eibachs that lower fairly evenly front and rear will sit lower on a wagon than on a sedan. Using a spring with more front rake, like Prodrive will get you more "even" fender gaps, if you want that aesthetic.

The general problem with the bugeyes is there weren't too many decent spring choices out there. At the time I was primarily using the blue Prodrive springs or STi springs on cars. TEIN springs were/are garbage. Eibach were okay, but they tended to sag in the rear after a few thousand km's.

As a last ditch effort if you want to use that setup on your wagon, look into a company called Paranoid Fabrications in the US. They sell saggy butt spacer spacers to level out the rear fender gap on wagons running sedan springs.

www.paranoidfabrications.com/

Here's a pic of STi Prodrive springs on V8 struts.

But that's a bit more of a complicated situation as the V8's use a different rear tophat and spigot than the bugeye. I think the STi Prodrive springs (red color) only came for V8 and above. If you can find some rear STi struts 04-07 and rear tophats, you can pair them up with the STi prodrive springs and your 02 STi Front struts. Its a bit frankenstein but it will work. You can actually buy a set of takeoff late model STi struts with less miles and stick the inserts into your bug eye strut housings. Cheap way to get a fresher set of struts!

Last edited by Arnie_1; 21 January 2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 22 January 2011, 08:18 AM
Martin.dean1981
Scooby Newbie

If you say I need saggy butt spacers which size would I need. I really want to keep with the sti salon struts for my wagon because they r fairly cheap and dont want to spend more money on 04-07 struts and swap about I'm on a tight buget. The spacers come in 1/4 1/2 3/4 1. Would I be able to fit them without them and does the sag look bad.
Old 22 January 2011, 09:21 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

I hear you. Then yes, go for the saggy butt spaceer solution. You can certainly fit them and see how you like it. I'm not sure if you would be installing yourself or not. So it may cost you a bit extra if you have to remove the rear struts again (install and alignment costs).

Perhaps you should search in the suspension forum on www.nasioc.com There's a thread or two about these spacers and people have posted up pics. I'm not really sure what size you would need. I suppose best would be to install the struts and then see for yourself what size (if any) you need. Perhaps you can live with the fender gap as is.
Old 23 January 2011, 04:36 PM
Martin.dean1981
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Arnie I've visted paronid fab and ask them what would be needed via email just waiting for a reply if no joy from them I might just purchase 1/4 get the fitted with the struts ang just hope for the best. I also visit nasioc and was told it may sagg but the will fit. I did find on the net somewhere that wagon springs are slightly longer then saloon springs due to the extra weight on the rear of a wagon. So maybe chancing it with 1/4 may pay off. Either way when it's done I'll let u know the out come.

Many thanks for yr help.

Martin