Notices

Tein coilovers from classic to bugeye??

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2010, 06:09 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein coilovers from classic to bugeye??

Hi all, I was wondering if it is possible that a set of tein coilovers from a classic may fit on my bugeye? Cant really find a definative answer on search at the moment!

Guessing theres some difference with the top mounts but not really sure if they can be changed/modified to make it fit??

Last edited by Matt2732; 29 December 2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 31 December 2010, 01:33 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

If they come with camber plates then they won't fit. Front bolt hole orientation is different between GC and GD. Rear tophat/camber plate bolt holes are also different. So you'd need new upper mounts to get them to fit.

Lower clevis will bolt up but the rear holes are offset a bit differently compared to GD/GG and will give a lot of negative camber, ca. over -2*.

Technically the brake line mounting point is a bit different as well. Can also be made to work.
Old 31 December 2010, 02:32 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that, will have to think about wether its worth it.
Old 31 December 2010, 03:56 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'd sell them and buy something that fits properly. Less of a headache and you won't have any geometry issues. Lots of better options out there, depending on what you want to do with your car.
Old 01 January 2011, 01:17 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

They not mine, but was thinking about trying them as they may be going cheap. I was thinking about lowering the car then these came up. Probably just stick with some springs and a proper geo set up, would be better for a road car methinks!
Old 02 January 2011, 04:47 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Ah, gotcha. What sort of roads are you looking at? Typical rough B-road? If so, then be careful about your spring choice as many lowering springs lower way too much and you'll lose precious travel quickly. not good for anything but the smoothest roads. But at this point, if you are on the original dampers, they are most likely on their last legs. Unfortunately for you, there aren't many spring choices for the bug-eye worth looking at. Most are too low and too soft. And any of the better spring choices are for the blob eye and above years (different rear tophat design). A quality adjustable damper will go a long way in improving your current setup and, fortunately, most are designed around the bug eye. You can choose from KYB-AGX, Tokico D-Spec or Koni SA's. All fit your tophats without modification. For mild lowering, decent spring rate and useful travel, I would look into STi V7 take off springs. Cheap and good. However, you won't get the even fender gap aesthetic, if that's what you are after. Car will perform better though.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 02 January 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03 January 2011, 11:26 AM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Cheers some nice pointers here. Roads are fairly bumpy in places here on the B roads. A roads arent to bad and prob a 50/50 mix. Good point about the dampers, no point fitted springs to a knackered damper. Springs I was condsidering were the prodrive or eibach kits, but I will have a look at the damper options you mention.

Thanks again, you obviously know your stuff!

Trending Topics

Old 06 January 2011, 10:51 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Any time!

I personally prefer the DSpecs, better adjustability and a bit better valving profile over the AGX's. The Koni's are a better damper than both but the install is more involved because they are inserts. So that may play a role in the costs if you have to have a shop do it for you. They also aren't as robust in off road, rallyx type situations compared to the DSpecs, if that matters.

I prefer the aesthetics of the Prodrive drop but the front is a bit too low for performance (less bump travel and compromised roll center geometry). The Eibachs are ok, not as good looking, but, IMO a bit too soft for the amount of lowering you get. If it is at all possible, check with some of the shops dealing with take-off parts or a member, because takeoff STi V7 springs are a really nice setup. Drop is mild (though not even fender gap), about 1/2", good spring rates (higher than the Eibach or Prodrive) but not super stiff. Plus they should be super cheap since they are take off springs! A DSpec/V7 combo would be a great B-road blaster, with plenty of travel and stiffness for great control and fun.

Here's a bugeeye wagon with the Prodrive springs:

This was a V7 Spec C suspension setup:

Last edited by Arnie_1; 06 January 2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added pics