Notices

how to get slight oversteer

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2010, 05:56 PM
imprezabob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get slight oversteer

Hi all, suspension is not my strong point i know not alot about it but have spent a couple of hours reading through some previous threads..

i have a 96 sti with eibach pro springs on it, no other suspension mods. this of course means the car has terrible understeer. I have to replace all the arb droplinks to get through an mot and i understand alloy ones would be good however i am not sure whether it will assist in reducing understeer..

I have also been reading about front and rear adjustable arbs and the associated benefits.. when i came across someone pointing out what do you really want from your car?? i have decided that i want slight oversteer.. i.e. controlable slight back end happy

I havent got as much money as i would like to have at present on sorting out the suspension and am wondering which bits i need to invest in to make this happen??

from what i have read so far.. alloy droplinks and adjustable rear arb seem a definate must but what else will get me what i want??

I know you guys must have answered similar posts time and time again, i have done a bit of research but as i said suspension and the resulting affects of pissing around with it is not my strong point..!
Old 19 June 2010, 07:05 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Get the alighnment checked, look on whiteline website for a starting point for settings that may suit you.
Thicker adjustable rear arb and stronger droplinks to start with and see how you like that, don't change lots at once.

dipster
Old 19 June 2010, 08:04 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The problem with inducing oversteer through wheel alignment is the possibility of instability in the wet, mine was and it wasn't fun !

I vote for an adjustable rear ARB as your first step, use your droplinks for now as they are new. This should get you closer to happiness..... 24mm if you are smooth and fast, 22mm if not.

IMHO

dunx

P.S. Be honest are you super smooth, or like me a corner monkey ?
Old 19 June 2010, 08:57 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

The first thing I would do is fit a Whiteline anti lift kit and get a good alignment as the WALK will increase you caster and that will help with understeer. The drop links will not change anything but will uprate the connection between the ARBs and the car.

Next you could go for both bars, adjustable. Start soft on the front and stiffen up the rear bar if you don't get the setting you like. Doing both bars will keep the car flatter during cornering so you don't need to be as agressive with the camber, which helps with tyre wear and under braking.

Paul.
Old 20 June 2010, 12:06 AM
imprezabob
Scooby Regular

cheers for the responses guys.. dunx i really appreciate your input as i know you post a lot with regards to suspension.. basically i wanna be able to flick the *** end out.. i think i am a bit more skilled than what the car is currently allowing due to the u/s i can drive smooth but dont chose to all the time.. its not so i can slide all over the place just want a bit more of a challenge..

Paul i have read many good things about the anti lift kit but have also read a couple of places that i would initially get more benefit from an rear ARB kit but i welcome your comments on why i should put this on and not the ARB kit

Dunk can you elaborate a little on diameter/driving style please??

Many thanks for this guys i really value you input.. not just cos i havent got a f**kin clue
Old 20 June 2010, 12:12 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I did the rear first, 22mm adj., best value mod on my car...
Then I did the front bar 22mm, and the ALK together, whilst it was up there.... improved the front end grip, but that reduced the oversteer, but also very expensive.

Three fitted road legal slicks, car became astonishingly grippy, but showed up the seven year old suspension as tired.

Went to coilovers, and on track I can now manage a wee oversteer slide flat in third gear....

Currently DCCD is just enabled and I look forward to some more "fun".....

IIRC a touch of toe-in at all four corners may make her a bit livelier (for little cost !)

22mm is o.k. for a "rough ****", 24mm or more is best suited to your Jenson Button types....

HTH

dunx

P.S. I may not even be right, but it's all been done for my benefit, and I'm happy..... shame one of the "smart" guys has vanished, he was telling me to go for maximum castor to aid front end grip A LA WTCC FWD set-up !

Last edited by dunx; 20 June 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 20 June 2010, 08:46 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What tyres do you have and what pressures are you running? (also what size wheel/tyre)

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 20 June 2010, 12:09 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezabob
Paul i have read many good things about the anti lift kit but have also read a couple of places that i would initially get more benefit from an rear ARB kit but i welcome your comments on why i should put this on and not the ARB kit
I'm not saying don't put the bars on but the WALK will give you the best result as it the caster that is the main control of the over/understeer.

I have a classic with eibach springs & KYB struts and fitted the WALK and 22mm bars front and rear. Gave me a nuetral car that you could flick the back out on if needed. Don't go for something that trail happy all the time as it will bite you. All the WL bits went on in one go so didn't know what gave the best improvement. I then put the WALK on my 08 and it was a massive improvement but when I followed it up with bars it was only a small improvement.

Paul.

Last edited by Paul666; 20 June 2010 at 03:23 PM.