Coilovers Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2009, 08:19 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers Ride Height

Hi,

My 03 STi has some Tein coilers fitted,and sit'a lower than stock,I adjusted them today to give me the highest ride height they arent far from stock now I dont think,but now the springs are really pre-loaded and the car is a little stiff. I'm just wondering what my options are,I'm thinking of buying some stock coilers and selling these Teins.unless anybody has another suggestion?

Thanks,Ben
Old 11 October 2009, 08:23 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

Also my Teins have clicker adjustment ontop of each leg,is this just compression or does it alyer both comp and re bound?
Old 14 October 2009, 07:45 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Then clicker is usually compression, and unless you got VERY expensive, only does that.

If you adjust ride height by twisting the spring cups this will make a difference, but ride height is usually adjusted separately, so raising ride height wont make them softer- fitting softer springs will.
Old 14 October 2009, 09:32 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

Default springs

Hey,

thanks for the input,the Tein manual says that ride height is adjusted via the spring seats which in turn will adjust spring pre-load,unless the top spring seat is also threaded which i dont think it is.

so yeah I adjusted them and gained a little ride height but it made it drive a little stiff,I backed the compression off a few and i'm reasonably happy with it,however I'm thinking of going back to stock coilovers,any ideas what I'd have to give for those?

Thanks again,Ben
Old 22 October 2009, 01:57 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

You need ot be careful that you dont run excessive preload if you are having to set ride height via the spring platform rather than an adjustable bottom mount.

If the units have an adjustable bottom mount then Id set ride height using that.

Just be careful that you dont wind the bottom mount too far down the damper body. If you wind it too far down then you run the risk of the damper failing.

We advise a minimum of 40mm of damper body within the bottom mount for the BC Racing coilovers, I dont know what Tein recommend.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:21 AM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Thanks,I'm not sure if they are adjustable via the bottom mount,I don't think they are but I will look into it.

I either want to go back stock,or if possible some after market coil overs that still maintain factory ride height,or can obtain factory ride height without pre-loading the springs to much.

Thanks,Ben
Old 23 October 2009, 10:01 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

We can supply a custom coilover kit to run standard ride height and can also design the ride to also meet your requirements, be that nice and supple or absoltely rock hard for wings and slicks.