Notices

WTF??!! - rear suspension on Hawkeye

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2009, 09:13 PM
Ravster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy WTF??!! - rear suspension on Hawkeye

I have a 3 year 5 month old Hawkeye (standard WRX, 06 plate). A few weeks ago there was a slight knocking from the drivers side rear suspension. So I took it into the dealer thinking bushes need replacing, or something minor....

"Your car needs 2 new struts, bushes and drop links sir"
"uhhhhhhhhh"
"That'll be £1167".

Now there's no way I'm paying that on a new-ish car. Never rallied or tracked by me in 2 and half years. (owner before me couldn't have done too much in 10k). Now 34k on the clock. Not even driven that hard. WTF???? Can't be right eh?

a) I'll get a second opinion
b) If true I'll buy after market parts and get them fitted by someone else.

Anyone know of this happening? They said they'd had another Hawkeye in with the same issue. Any advice on parts, fitting etc very very welcome. Thank you!

Last edited by Ravster; 03 August 2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added model
Old 04 August 2009, 07:09 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the bushes or droplinks but that is about the right length of time for the rear (if inverted style) struts to start sticking and clunking (afflicts WRX from 05 and STi from 03) its actually a disgrace that Subaru sold something so clearly not fit for purpose (and its not just the UK, the US has the same issue at least).

Subaru OE struts are very expensive, much cheaper can be found on the aftermarket, alternatively lots of people have had success with stripping the units down (DIY job) and using a better grease than the Subaru 'margerine' and had the strtuts continue in use for at least another year. (me included).

Simon
Old 04 August 2009, 07:55 AM
Ravster
Scooby Regular

Thanks Simon. I also think they are not fit for purpose. Might try taking that line up.

Anyone with advice on aftermarket struts for an MY06 WRX?
Old 04 August 2009, 09:54 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Look for replacements for 03/04MY they have the later (same as yours) tophat mounting on the strut, I think KYB (make the OE parts for Subaru) do them, cheap from camskill or buypartsby and about 10% uprated.

Simon
Old 04 August 2009, 01:12 PM
neil rowland-hall
Scooby Regular

I had same problem which I told Subaru about but they wouldn't do anything about it as my car was just out of warranty. (should have been a recall in my opinion). Replacement factory struts are really expensive although not too difficult to fit(approx £350 each!).
A possible way round it is to try and scrounge a used left and right hand rear wrx strut from your local subaru dealer. Mine had quite a few just waiting for the skip. Then buy KONI adjustable inserts which can be fitted into the strut bodies after a bit of cutting with a hacksaw. It sounds a bit barbaric but actually it's not too difficult if you have a reasonable tool kit. Total cost probably in the region of £300 if you can get the struts FOC.
The NASIOC forum has pictures of the conversion.
Neil
Old 04 August 2009, 02:34 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ravster
Thanks Simon. I also think they are not fit for purpose. Might try taking that line up.

Anyone with advice on aftermarket struts for an MY06 WRX?
go for exe-tc or ast's depending on budjet or buy my 2 year old hawkeye wrx struts that i removed
Old 04 August 2009, 03:10 PM
Markl102
Scooby Newbie

Both the rear struts on my 07 were changed at its last service 18000 miles covered. And i was told this is very common by the service staff at SGT! Don't think the Japanese practise of "first time right" has been applied to the Impreza.
Old 05 August 2009, 10:05 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Had an 03 STI - 3 times in 4 years this happened !!!! The fact the problem is still there in the 06 model is a disgrace.
Old 06 August 2009, 08:23 AM
Ravster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
go for exe-tc or ast's depending on budjet or buy my 2 year old hawkeye wrx struts that i removed
I might just take you up on that idea bushiwarrior. Might give me another couple of years ...
Old 14 August 2009, 08:46 PM
weatherman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Had an 03 STI - 3 times in 4 years this happened !!!! The fact the problem is still there in the 06 model is a disgrace.
Just under 3 yrs old and right rear strut is clunking and sticking like mad - you can feel the car settling down in a delayed fashion.

Subaru replacing both rears under warranty - I hope there has been a redesign so the same doesn't happen again!