Notices

Rear Strut tops on 2001 Bugeye Wagon. Which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2009, 01:28 PM
anon_noone
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Strut tops on 2001 Bugeye Wagon. Which ones?

I'm the currently sad owner of a 2001 import Bugeye STI Wagon (GGB)
My dampers have died on me so i've bought a set of Tein Basic coilovers.
Unfortunately the garage have informed me they don't fit as my rear strut tops are the single piece items rather than the split piece ones.
I'm trying to find some of the split piece items and not having much luck.
Any ideas or part numbers.

The full story...
I ordered some Teins from Camskill who told me these coilovers are suitable for GDA GDB GGA and GGB imprezas. When the box of shinyness arrived the paperwork said that they were only suitable for GDA and GDB imprezas.
I looked on the Tein international site and, sure enough, confirm the parts i have (CSS28) are for GDA/GDB while there is a different set (CSS30) for GGA/GGB.
Conversations ensued with Tein who told me CSS30 was a japan only kit but CSS28 will be fine as the damper and spring rates are just a teeny tiny bit different. However, they informed me that there was only a 50/50 chance the kit would fit to my car as GGB imprezas sometimes had the single piece strut tops and sometimes the split piece strut tops. As luck would have it... i have the single piece (wrong) ones.

What should i do?

I should add, the reason i have opted for the teins is both for the slightly stiffer lower properties and because they undercut the cost of the subaru items by over £500.

Any help appreciated.
Old 31 July 2009, 04:49 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what differences you have, I'm only aware of pre and post 04 where the strut 'top hat' changed from a multipiece assembly (spring coils parallel, plain cylinder locating section on strut) to a 'blob' of rubber with steel insert (top coil diameter reduced and location on a short taper on the top of the strut).

As a JDM you would expect to need the 'Japanese' CSS28 I think?

Its possible to fit the 'wrong' tophat to the strut, I'm using early type tophats on later STi struts using an adaptor, while later top mounts can be fitted to earlier struts using a machined adaptor (to replicate the strut top) or by 'moosing it up' once the vehicle weight is on it, these approaches are common in the US where later mounting type struts are not available on the aftermarket.

Simon