Notices

Suspension - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2009, 11:19 AM
luffy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension - What to do?

Right im torn between 2 routes for my impreza, i have approx £1k to spend on suspension/handling.

I use the car pretty mush everyday and as it stands im pretty happy with the power (full exhaust and k&n induction kit) so im after sorting the handling out for both fast road and a bit of track use.

Should i go for something like the powerstation stage 2 kit which is eibach springs, anti lift kit and arbs front and rear along with geo setup which is £830incVat and then add maybe a strut brace or some other whiteline goodies.

OR

Do i go for the BC coilovers Apex have on offer at the mo which are £570 inc postage and i can get them fitted for bout £280 inc geo setup so £850 then spend a coupleof hundred quid on some whiteline goodies such as antilift kits and anti roll bars.

would the BC coilovers be to much for everyday use? if im not going to do much track is it pointless getting coilovers or does the car handle that much better its worth it.

worth mentioning i am also going to upgrade front discs and pads aswell so i get better braking.

opinions and views from what people have done would be much appreciated.

cheers
Old 14 March 2009, 11:21 AM
luffy
Scooby Regular

worth mentioning its a MY97 UK turbo

cheers
Old 02 April 2009, 05:59 PM
oobyJu
Scooby Regular

an MY97 is lighter and more flexable than the newage models so coilovers might be a bit much for road use (especially BC's, harder than the eibachs i have on a newage and it's still quite bouncy at slow speeds or poor roads) plus it would need stiffening (braces front & rear) to give the coilovers something to work with so option 1 in my opinion (love my anti lift gear)+ front brace and alloy drop links, that will be wicked
Old 02 April 2009, 07:01 PM
New_scooby_04

If you go the coil overs route so not go any harder than 4/3kgfmm front/rear on a classic or you'll not like it as an everyday driver! I have tein superstreets with electronically adjustable damping on mine with the above spring rates and they improved cornering significantly, bit it's all about compromise and if you improve cornering, it's usually to the detriment of ride quality. Good quality coilovers with the above spring rate can be made to feel like OEM over all but the worst surfaces, any harder and you're looking at track use bias IMHO.

Ns04
Old 02 April 2009, 08:06 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I run BC's on a newage 5/4 springs, I cannot fault them at all, a great upgrade. A classic scoob as above needs 4/3 springs.
I would suggest that if your dampers have done 50kmiles+ then you should change them out anyway. It's amazing how bad dampers gets over time, new springs would be a total waste of time on old dampers.

dipster
Old 03 April 2009, 09:58 PM
Heretik
Scooby Regular

I've fitted BC coil overs 6/5's (edit: on my classic sti) and currently have them on a very agreeable and comfortable setting - can't fault them - very cost effective and a great ride quality (I live right out in the sticks where the roads are horribly poor). There's a great deal of adjustability- and you should have change for an antilift kit (which is what I did) and anti roll bars too. Highly recomended, having come from very very very stiff Ohlins springs and shocks these are a great compromise. Glad I went for the 6/5's and nothing softer as otherwise it would have been too soft for me, but now I can get stiffer and more comfortable settings, so well happy.

Last edited by Heretik; 03 April 2009 at 10:14 PM.