Notices

Knocking from rear (non STI!)

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2009, 01:56 PM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking from rear (non STI!)

The only reason I'm posting this as a new thread is whenever I search for the problem I'm having, it seems to relate to a common problem with STI's (my car is a UK Impreza Turbo MY98). I don't want to have to fork out a lot of money only to find that it doesn't solve the problem.

The sound coming from the rear of the car (regardless of speed/type of road) sounds like either the boot catch/spoiler/exhaust is slightly loose. It's a knocking sound that vibrates on hitting the slightest bump in the road and it's getting worse. Although I think it might be the rear shocks (there is a slight misting of oil apparently), the source of the noise can't be isolated. The handling doesn't seem to be affected (not that I notice), but, as you can imagine, it's driving me up the wall. Any ideas, or someone with a similar problem with a non-STI model, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Thanks all!
Old 13 March 2009, 04:46 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

I know it sounds silly but have you checked to see if the jack is fitted secure ,as it's easy to forget if it's tucked away in it's litte cubby hole
Old 13 March 2009, 04:54 PM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

Not silly at all. Yes, I did check, including all the boot lining fittings, spare tyre and any other visible catches.
Old 14 March 2009, 09:40 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony1979
The only reason I'm posting this as a new thread is whenever I search for the problem I'm having, it seems to relate to a common problem with STI's (my car is a UK Impreza Turbo MY98). I don't want to have to fork out a lot of money only to find that it doesn't solve the problem.

The sound coming from the rear of the car (regardless of speed/type of road) sounds like either the boot catch/spoiler/exhaust is slightly loose. It's a knocking sound that vibrates on hitting the slightest bump in the road and it's getting worse. Although I think it might be the rear shocks (there is a slight misting of oil apparently), the source of the noise can't be isolated. The handling doesn't seem to be affected (not that I notice), but, as you can imagine, it's driving me up the wall. Any ideas, or someone with a similar problem with a non-STI model, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Thanks all!

Snap, my cars doing the same, Im guessing it could be the top mount, Ivee checked the spoiler bolts and the boots empty (not even the space saver) fooked if I know but I need to find out.
Old 14 March 2009, 11:33 PM
Auto_Sparky_WRX
Scooby Regular

my bugeye knocks on the rear passenger side , apparently its a rubber bush on the top of the shock that wears??? mine seems to be worse on cold mornings, dunno if that will help?
Old 15 March 2009, 09:34 AM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Lads If you lift the car up on the rear there is rear diff support beam goes from O/S to N/S, I think there are 3 bolts through it into the floor 1x16mm that goes through the bush and 2x14mm, if the car has been jacked up on this the plate that fits before the bolts bends very slightly and then causes a dull knocking noise.
Took me 3 months to work out.

http://www.powerengineering.co.uk/ac..._Powerflex.jpg

It is number 8 on the picture.
Dean.
Old 15 March 2009, 10:02 AM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Im not sure where to start, I was thinking about taking my back seats out and letting the garage check all they need to, at least they will be able to get at the rear mount for a look. I will jack the car up tonight when I get here in the gargage for a look, am I the only one that has a look under the car and everything always look ok
Old 15 March 2009, 10:32 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mine's always dirty, and that doesn't help....

Mine knocks when "launching", as stated above there is a kit to quieten it down.

dunx
Old 16 March 2009, 01:44 PM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the input. I'll get it checked out.
Old 18 March 2009, 08:17 PM
NAY93WRX
Scooby Regular

I had the same on my RA, it was the ARB droplinks.

I changed them and hey presto!
Old 18 March 2009, 08:34 PM
Mccwrx
Scooby Newbie

hi, try shock top mounts at rear,the 10p washer usually snaps and goes missing or the mounts wear both reveal themselves with a tapping metallic knock or arb links
Old 18 March 2009, 09:35 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

check the boot lid, bet you havent hear that one, my one was chattering away good o'
Old 19 March 2009, 11:20 PM
Scar70
Scooby Newbie

might be worth checking the rear trailing arm front bush. Just changed on my MY01 what a differance no knocks
Old 25 March 2009, 11:07 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

sounds like rear anti roll bar link bushes,had exactly those symptoms on mine,i thought it was shocks etc,etc,etc.