Bugeye WRX Excessive Front Tyre Wear

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2009, 12:52 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bugeye WRX Excessive Front Tyre Wear

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone could advise on the following, from what it looks like, a common problem.

When I bought my most recent bugeye the front OS tyre was knackered on the inside edge about 1 inch in. I got a new set of alloys and tyres and had the geo tracking and cambers checked - all spot on (18" Inovit CTS with Falcon tyres).

Seven months later it is getting just as bad on the same side, so again I have had the geo tracking and cambers checked and its all fine, apparently.

I must say that when taking a RH corner or sometimes a LH corner it seems as though the OS wheel is turning too much and almost scuffing on its inner edge - may seem weird but its the only way i can describe it. This would also explain why when the car is stationary it is fine - for the geo check etc - but when its moving/cornering this is when the problem occurs.

I've had a bugeye before this one and classics before and none of these have suffered with this problem so I am beginning to get slightly worried about any previous accident/track damage.

Can anyone advise whether this may be worn bushes, bent suspension/steering members, chassis related or something more sinister?

I have got to change my rear shocks as they are leaking - I assume this would not have any relivants to the front end handling?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I am sure the main dealer will enjoy trying to find any issues at £80+ per hour!

Thanks all.
Old 26 February 2009, 10:30 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ricco60
Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone could advise on the following, from what it looks like, a common problem.

When I bought my most recent bugeye the front OS tyre was knackered on the inside edge about 1 inch in. I got a new set of alloys and tyres and had the geo tracking and cambers checked - all spot on (18" Inovit CTS with Falcon tyres).

Seven months later it is getting just as bad on the same side, so again I have had the geo tracking and cambers checked and its all fine, apparently.

I must say that when taking a RH corner or sometimes a LH corner it seems as though the OS wheel is turning too much and almost scuffing on its inner edge - may seem weird but its the only way i can describe it. This would also explain why when the car is stationary it is fine - for the geo check etc - but when its moving/cornering this is when the problem occurs.

I've had a bugeye before this one and classics before and none of these have suffered with this problem so I am beginning to get slightly worried about any previous accident/track damage.

Can anyone advise whether this may be worn bushes, bent suspension/steering members, chassis related or something more sinister?

I have got to change my rear shocks as they are leaking - I assume this would not have any relivants to the front end handling?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I am sure the main dealer will enjoy trying to find any issues at £80+ per hour!

Thanks all.
hi m8 do you have standard wishbone bushes ,or do you have an anti lift kit fitted .if no alk fitted poss your rear bush is failing causing your wheel toe to alter .when static you wont pick up the fault but when loaded up the bush moves an causes missalignment ,go and check and post back m8 cheersgeo