Notices

Front suspension knocking

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2008, 09:47 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Front suspension knocking

It seems like I have the dreaded front suspension knocking problem that is common is MY 06-07 cars(?).

Has anyone experienced this problem and how does the dealer diagnose it?
When I took my car for the 30k km service in Malmo the dealer said it is OK but the knocking is driving me nuts now.

The car drives fine. The knocking occurs when the the road 'disappears' i.e going up/down a kerb and only at slow speeds.
The car has Prodrive springs and the problem started 5k km after fitting the springs. At the same time I replaced the front drop links with Whiteline rose joitned ones, the rear with aluminium ones and both ARBs.

Someone told me it could be the coils of the spring touching (the rear springs have some plastic sleeve at the lower coils to prevent them from touching), I contacted Prodrive who told me it is either a faulty shock absorber or the spring is not seated correctly on the cap or something like that.

Any help is greatly appreciated on how to diagnose the problem or get the dealer to change my struts as I don't know what to do and don't have the knowledge to fix this myself.

Lately when I removed the wheels I noticed that there didn't seem to be much greese between the polyurethene bushes of the ARB, could that cause the knocking?

Do polyurethene bushes need regular greasing and do you have to remove the ARB to do this?

To me it sounds most probable the explanation of the missing plastic sleeve between the lower coils of the spring since the problem appeared 5k km after fitting the springs which is the time they would have taken to 'settle'.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Fivos

P.S. Lately the problem happens when I turn suddenly at roundabouts too
PPS. Exactly the same sound of knocking I had in my old Citroen ZX when the drop links were dead but I now have new drop links so it can't be!

Last edited by fpan; 27 November 2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 28 November 2008, 11:37 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Could it be the top mounts and how would I be able to tell?
The car has 33k km.
Old 01 December 2008, 11:01 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the car still under the Subaru warranty????
Old 02 December 2008, 10:08 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Is the car still under the Subaru warranty????
Yes. I took it to the local dealer during the 30k km service and he said he couldn't find anything wrong.
Old 02 December 2008, 07:25 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Just for peace of mind, remove the drop links temporarily and rule them out of the equation, especially because they are rose jointed ones and not the normal poly bush ones. The slightest play in them and they rattle like ****.

worn anti roll bar bushes will also make it knock a little so make sure these are greased regularly / or replaced if they are worn..
Old 04 December 2008, 03:38 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Just for peace of mind, remove the drop links temporarily and rule them out of the equation, especially because they are rose jointed ones and not the normal poly bush ones. The slightest play in them and they rattle like ****.

worn anti roll bar bushes will also make it knock a little so make sure these are greased regularly / or replaced if they are worn..
Cheers Fuzz.
You mean to replace the drop links with the OE items temporarily and go for a test drive?
Old 04 December 2008, 07:09 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

No, just take them off, just don't hoon it into a bend though and it'll be fine.
Old 04 December 2008, 10:20 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Mate if its still under warranty keep taking it back YOU are the client you are always right !!
Subaru know that they have a fault with there shocks, If the dealer still says there is no problem take it up with customer care they are very helpful.
Old 05 December 2008, 06:58 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

and if it turns out to be the droplinks he fitted, he's going to look a tad embarrassed. If you rule out those (and the anti roll bar bushes) FIRST. you'll be on much firmer ground to give the dealership some stick.

and it's the rear shock that usually knocks, not the front.

Last edited by Fuzz; 05 December 2008 at 06:59 AM.