Rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2008, 12:17 PM
Marcward989
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear suspension

Hi people
Sorry to post another thread about the dreaded rear shock knocking. Have just bought my first impreza, a 54plate wrx, only doen about 300 miles and this knocking noise has started. only happens at rear low speeds and not over speed bumps. feels like im driving on square alloys actually. haha. when i come to a stand stil feels like the rear end settles down and like clicks down. is this the rear shock problem that is a common problem? i want a cheap cheap temp fix to this problem as im a bit low on funds. seen new stock shocks for around 60 quid each would this solve the problemor is there a cheaper way? im not very mechanically minded so simple simon writing for me, lol. i live in sheffield if anyone knows a place or someone etc. look forward to reading your replys as its driving me nuts
Old 23 November 2008, 12:42 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Deffo the rear struts mate. Mine went on my 53 plate sti and I decided to go the AST route to avoid the issue (and was out of warranty). Not exactly a budget solution though I'm afraid.

They went again on my 07 sti but Subaru replaced under warranty (only done 6000 miles)

Might be an idea to go into the GB thread about the coilovers from Apex. Know a few people who have swapped on to these and will no doubt have their rear struts sat around in their garage that may keep you going for a few months?
Old 23 November 2008, 12:47 PM
Marcward989
Scooby Regular

Cheers buddy, so its the struts not the shocks? bit confused? dont really want to be swapping and changing every couple of months but like i say im after a budget soloution to keep me going. can u do the rear struts yourself or do u take it to a garage?
Old 23 November 2008, 01:42 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Its the STi's that clonk, not WRX, not saying you don't have a problem with yours, but they aren't known for it.

A macpherson strut is the damper (aka shock)...so in this case 'strut' and 'shock' mean the same thing.

Before buying bits be sure you know what bits you need to buy, what you describe may or may not be a rear strut.

Simon
Old 23 November 2008, 02:13 PM
Marcward989
Scooby Regular

Ah right so my wrx turbo shouldnt be clunking? just sounds very similar to what people have been posting on here? think best thing is to take it to a garage and let them have a look. defo coming off the wheels, any ideas other than the struts? dont want to tell them anything so they have a look for that problem and find nothing. just getting on my nerves. the guy i bought it off says its the handbrake shoes seized on, would this make it jerk a bit at low speeds? might try get that looked at first, sounds cheapest thing to start with, haha
Old 23 November 2008, 02:25 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

As Rookie says the WRX variant isn't as well known for the failing struts as the STI but the problem may well still exist. The very fact that you quoted "when i come to a stand stil feels like the rear end settles down and like clicks down" suggests the struts may well be the issue as this is exactly how I described it when I had the problem (tbh I never really heard a clunking whilst driving it was just when I came to stop the back end felt like the tyres had dropped in to a small hole in the road)

Changing them isn't a massive job but I would personally take the car to a trusted garage and get them to have a look.

Where abouts in the country are you Marc?
Old 23 November 2008, 02:51 PM
Marcward989
Scooby Regular

Im in sheffield, south yorkshire. yea thats what it feels like, the wheels dropping in to a small pot hole. its fine when your driving, literally setting off and stopping u feel it. just makes me wonder, the guy says his garage said its the handbrake shoes but he didnt have time to get it done. i havent got a clue about changing them myself but moneys tight so might have to have a try at it.
Old 23 November 2008, 07:07 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

As it happens my 04 Sti started knocking last week, most noticible over rough roads and stopping / setting off. Took it back to the dealer, who is replacing the shock under warranty.
Old 24 November 2008, 06:01 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Many in the US strip and regrease the shock (using a heavy duty, water resistant, marine grease) and claim its fixed the problem, one has 30K miles since this 'fix' no probs.

The WRX and STi shocks are totally different beasts (WRX are conventional, STi inverted for starters - and the STi fix cannot be applied to a WRX) so I'd be wary of using the info from one on another.

That clonk could be handbrake had similar on my wifes Celica which is also drum in disc, previous owner had overtightend the cable to offset a sticky adjustor, doing the job properly fixed it!

Simon