Question for those with Leda suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2002, 05:58 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Folks

I live in Canada and own a MY98 Impreza 2.5RS (2 door Type R look alike). I only drive the car on the road (no track days) and the roads around here are very similar to your British A and B roads. I'm thinking about replacing my aging Prodrive "Performance" suspension with Leda B's and I'm wondering: what kind of spring rates do people over there use and how comfortable are your cars for every day driving as well as fast cross country trips on the B roads?

Also, I understand that the Leda's can be made more comfortable by turning down the damping, but doesn't that just create underdamped springs that oscillate more than they should?

Many thanks!
Old 09 February 2002, 06:14 PM
Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Leda is fully adjustable 24 settings & you can increase/decrease ride height. Usual set up is 5 clicks front & rear. Whilst this is probably around 25% firmer than the standadrd wrx set up.

Depends on your prefernce though for me this is great!!! Especially on A/B roads. Have tried on firmer/softer suspension & it does make a big difference.......

But start at 5 & 5 & go from there though let the suspension bed in for 1000 miles first before you start tinkering.....
Old 10 February 2002, 07:26 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Question

Whats the proceedure to change stifness and ride height?

Old 10 February 2002, 08:31 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

To change the bump/rebound settings, just use the click adjusting ****.

To change the ride height, you have to move the spring platforms by undoing the locknut and moving them with a pair of C spanners.

If the suspension was fitted at Leda, you need to change the height evenly from side to side - the corner weights will be different, and the springs may be at different heights on the platforms side to side. This is deliberate. I.e., don't try and get the two rear (say) platforms at the same height as each other. If one appears to be at a different height to the other then don't try and even them up, but move each one equally. Also, mark the spring platform positions so you can put them back to the same place if necessary.

Finally, I would not personally recommend altering the ride height - ScoobySport and Leda spent an awful lot of time developing this before arriving at the optimum height, and you can easily make your car ride and handle worse by messing about with it or lowering it excessively.
Old 10 February 2002, 06:52 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, but ... back to my original questions: I know about the adjustable damping, but doesn't Leda offer different spring rates? I'm still wondering what most people use on the street? (I'm looking for a setup that is going to be livable every day, not just for that odd fast, fun drive.)

Cheers
Old 10 February 2002, 07:14 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Leda will make up springs in just about any poundage you want, but I would imagine 99% of roadgoing UK Imprezas on Leda use the standard springs out of the box - why don't you just email Leda and point your questions at them - they can answer them best! www.leda.com