Notices

AST's, EXE-TC, etc etc your coil over problems!

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2008, 07:25 PM
swifty.....!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AST's, EXE-TC, etc etc your coil over problems!

Basicly we all know how good they are when working but what faults/failures/problems have you all had with your coil overs?

be interesting to read and see if there is a running theme with any!

also if possable include price for fixing

ste
Old 04 August 2008, 09:38 AM
P1 NUT
Scooby Regular

None with my Teins
Old 05 August 2008, 10:53 AM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

My AST's knocked on the rear on my old classic shape Impreza. Apparantly the problem is unfixable. Am planning to go for EXE-TC's on my 2005 Sti very soon so would be interested to hear if the knocking is still a problem on the newer shaped cars.... ie. 05/06/07 bla bla bla !!!!
Old 05 August 2008, 10:56 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

had tein superstreets for nearly a year now, and touchwood, had no problems whatsoever, and they are fitted to a my94 sti wagon, which tein apparantly dont make them for, because the rear is not adjustable for camber as standard, had to have camber bolts from whiteline which made enough camber for them to be fitted and set up properly. a bit hard for everyday driving, but no doubt about it have transformed the car and it is remarkably focused and along with adjustable anti roll bar, droplinks and anti lift kit, handles like nothing ive ever driven before.
Old 07 August 2008, 05:05 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

We have only had one reported failure with the Apex units on Imprezas to date and that was from new, it was a faulty unit from the factory. We sent out a new damper and problem fixed.

We charge £75 inc vat per damper as a replacement if they fail outside the warrenty period. We dont ask you to send the whole strut back, we just send you a replacement damper unit and you or your mechanic just swaps the old bottom mount, locking collars etc to the new unit and job done. We dont sell many replacement dampers as theyre a very reliable unit so theres not been much need in the 5 years we have been selling them. We have sold thousands of sets to date so theyre proving to hold up well to the nasty British winters

We carry a wide range of spares including new top mounts, bottom mounts etc so if you slide into a kerb or similar then we can get you back ont he road quick smart. We also carry a range of different spring rates so you can alter the feel of the suspension to suit your preferences.

If we dont have the parts you need in stock then we have absolutely no qualms about pulling a complete kit to bits to minimise any delays. No waiting 4 weeks for replacement parts from Japan here
Old 08 August 2008, 10:52 AM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

Just had my exe-tc replaced after 16 months due to corrsion of the gold outer cases ! but at a cost to me !!!

Now have the new stainless system, but have now developed after a week a bad rear end knock !
Old 08 August 2008, 11:41 AM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR 1mposter
Just had my exe-tc replaced after 16 months due to corrsion of the gold outer cases ! but at a cost to me !!!

Now have the new stainless system, but have now developed after a week a bad rear end knock !
Please let us know what EXE-TC have to say about this. Been looking at getting a set of their fast adjustable coilovers.
You are the first person I have heard about who has had problems ... interested to know if there are any other people out there with similar issues before I shell out a whole lot of cash?
Old 12 August 2008, 02:11 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thread, lots of useful info
Old 12 August 2008, 07:49 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STiFreak
Please let us know what EXE-TC have to say about this. Been looking at getting a set of their fast adjustable coilovers.
You are the first person I have heard about who has had problems ... interested to know if there are any other people out there with similar issues before I shell out a whole lot of cash?
Me too - I am investigating coilovers and exe-tc have a good pedigree but a weak website. Their only saving grace is their WRC experience - I suppose they are too good to worry about impressing us mortala, and racing shox don't need to last long...

Exe-TC are supposed to be the best but now I am wondering. I need something that can be rebuilt.

Bren has almost persuaded me and this note might tip the balance.
Old 12 August 2008, 09:02 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have AST's on my 02 Sti. Went all the way down south to have them fitted, had a leak on the front NS when the adjusting screw came loose after a hard track day at KH several months later and Curtis sent me a replaced for same with no issues whatsoever. Okay, I had to have the strut changed locally, at my cost, but the after service was first class. No quibbles or questions. Now that is worth a lot IMHO.

Jools
Old 14 August 2008, 09:39 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by prwatts
Bren has almost persuaded me and this note might tip the balance.
Im so sure of my product that Ill do an absolute no quibble 1 month money back guarentee if you dont like my coilovers. I know youll fit them and be happy so its a no risk offer for my part but it gives you a completely open door to back out if youre not impressed
Old 14 August 2008, 10:58 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

Is that offer open to everyone Bren? Also I want a fairly soft ride with the adjustability of your shocks what is the softest spring rate you can do with your coilovers?
Old 16 August 2008, 05:35 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

A mate has Tein SuperStreets on his. They seem to clunk a bit when cornering sometimes. Also (sometimes) when going over little bumps/humps in the road you can hear a sort of "whhoossh" noise, lol, if you get what I mean, is this the gas in the shocks? Are they on their way out as they were only purchased beginning of the year?

Last edited by stiscooby; 17 August 2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 17 August 2008, 05:27 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had AST coilovers fitted for over 2 years now and they've performed flawlessly. When I talked to Curtis about making them as compliant as possible for the sh1te roads up here, he re-valved them free of charge with superb results

Going down to Powerstation at end of the month so Curtis can give the shocks a full service (my choice even though they're not due for another year). It's service like that which would make me think twice about switiching to another brand no matter how good they're supposed to be
Old 19 August 2008, 08:25 AM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

Maybe all you chaps who have fitted coilovers could list here who has what:
Old 19 August 2008, 11:56 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

got a loud knocking/clunking noise comming from the rear passengers side on my Cusco`s, dont think there rebuildable either

will probably look into a set of Apex`s when i have some spare cash
Old 20 August 2008, 02:32 AM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STiFreak
It turned out to be the oe n/s rear top mount, replaced both sides with a exe-tc solid metal top mounts, slighty more road noise.
Will be replacing the fronts with adjustables when they have some in stock
Old 28 August 2008, 01:37 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lunar tick
I've had AST coilovers fitted for over 2 years now <snip>
Going down to Powerstation at end of the month so Curtis can give the shocks a full service (my choice even though they're not due for another year).
What's the recommended service interval for AST's then? Mine are over 3 years old now, and I had an advisory at the last MOT that the nsr rear shock might need replacing in due course.
Old 28 August 2008, 06:30 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tim hardisty
What's the recommended service interval for AST's then? Mine are over 3 years old now, and I had an advisory at the last MOT that the nsr rear shock might need replacing in due course.
I think Curtis quoted me about 3 years. Of course, they can go longer between services but I guess it all depends on how much abuse they've had
Old 15 October 2008, 07:21 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Glad I've seen this thread.

I'm going to see Curtis again on Thursday. I have the Powerstation Stage 3 kit fitted to my02 sti with upper front brace.

At rally GB last year my front o/s strut failed. Rang Curtis and booked me in straight away and replaced the strut under warranty.

Now my n/s rear strut has a problem. Makes a "thud" / "banging" noise after you come off of the motorway and at low speeds. On the motorway you can't hear it very much(ok mostly down to the 3" team ice system) but soon as you come off the motorway it makes a horrible noise. But if I go in the 1st lane of a motorway and say stick to 60mph or so and go on the lorry gruves or we there is a join in the tarmac I get a noise that reminds me of a small container with nuts/botls in rattling.

Other than the annoying noise at the mo I can't fault the AST's or Curtis on a whole. In fact I highly recommend Curtis at AST/Powerstation not only for being a top bloke but his advice and after service.

Steve
Old 15 October 2008, 09:07 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Have had exe-tc on mine for the past 18 months - absolutely love them.

Incredible on the road and the track but without the downside of a harsh ride that is found in other coilovers.
Old 15 October 2008, 09:25 AM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem - increasingly loud clunking at the rear on the left side. Sometimes a steady lound thumping, sometimess a faster rattle. It was the scissor jack in its silly little housing where you have to screw it open a bit to make it hold itself tight. Best suspension mod I have found yet, heh heh... but AST's are on my list as soon as the damn banks stop nickin' me dosh...
Old 21 October 2008, 08:04 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by lunar tick
I think Curtis quoted me about 3 years. Of course, they can go longer between services but I guess it all depends on how much abuse they've had
What's involved in this service and any idea on cost..?
Old 21 October 2008, 10:09 PM
andybandit
Scooby Regular

dynamix exe-tc are my next purchase. which do you have on, fast road or circuit & track as i know you do time attack in yours. track days are all i use mine for
cheers andy
Old 21 October 2008, 10:10 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dynamix
Have had exe-tc on mine for the past 18 months - absolutely love them.

Incredible on the road and the track but without the downside of a harsh ride that is found in other coilovers.
Which version do you run Dynamix?
Old 21 October 2008, 10:10 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Seems everyone wants to know
Old 21 October 2008, 10:44 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

AST's are very good. Never had a problem with them. I'm on solid top mounts which tend to knock a bit, but that is to be expected.
Old 22 October 2008, 07:42 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by madisonmonkey
Seems everyone wants to know
Just the fast road version
Old 16 November 2008, 02:52 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Do the AST come with rubber top mounts or can I use the OE top mounts with them? A common problem with coilovers is the lack of rubber top mounts hence they tend to knock.
Cheers
Old 25 November 2008, 01:18 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron

New set of AST 3 way coilovers failed on first hillclimb. A rubber seal on the external canister popped spraying the oil all over engine bay and onto windscreen.

Just happened to be hammering through a third gear corner, the car lost grip at the front for a second or two and i though I was a goner straight down the ravine. Saved it somehow and kept on going as I was so focused that I did not even notice all the oil on the windscreen.

Removed from car free of charge and couriered form Cyprus to Holland? and replaced. No cost to me apart from soiled race suit.

Back on car but have not tried again in anger.

No problems with AST single adjustable on the STi to date.

Quick Reply: AST's, EXE-TC, etc etc your coil over problems!