Notices

Tein coilovers with electronic controller.

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2008, 01:53 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein coilovers with electronic controller.

I'm seriously considering getting these fitted to my car. my03 wrx. What sort of difference do they make over the normal setup? I was told that if I got these fitted then there would be no need to use a thicker arb or the rest of the stuff because a decent suspension is the most important handling characteristic of the car.

I'm going to go to xtreme scoobies to go out in one of the cars that has been fitted with the above. Please could people who have the tein suspension fitted give me their views on the electronic damper adjustment and how it has changed the handling of their car.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25 July 2008, 07:40 PM
New_scooby_04

LOL Just been out for a ride in the XS demo car with the Tein Super street set up with EDFC. Was very impressed and gonna go for it myself (subject to a couple of other inquiries). Certainly didn't feel like any other enhancements were required TBH

Ns04
Old 25 July 2008, 08:13 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

I am also thinking about them - can't decide between Tein, Cusco, AST, Apex...prefer Japanese not Taiwan. Cuscos look great but expensive - can get 'em direct from Nippon much cheaper... Please tell us what you think Mart. How about a group buy? Peter 2.5 STi10
Old 26 July 2008, 06:39 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have just brought a 2004 STI which has had Tein super street suspension fitted (receipt says fitted by xtreme) as well as whiteline front & rear ARB's/drop links......

Quite a hard ride but prob wont be so bad once get use to it. Something is knocking at the rear though, gotta take a look to see what it is.

I haven't got the electronic gadget on mine though.
Old 26 July 2008, 10:14 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by stiscooby
I have just brought a 2004 STI which has had Tein super street suspension fitted (receipt says fitted by xtreme) as well as whiteline front & rear ARB's/drop links......

Quite a hard ride but prob wont be so bad once get use to it. Something is knocking at the rear though, gotta take a look to see what it is.

I haven't got the electronic gadget on mine though.
Try turning the dampers down to the softest setting mate.
Old 27 July 2008, 02:48 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestion but from what I remember the previous owner telling me I think they are already on the softest settings, will check them when I try to find this knocking. They are not too bad until you hit a small bump in the road, then you nearly get bounced out of ya seat!
Old 27 July 2008, 11:10 PM
New_scooby_04

That doesn't sound right at all mate! On the soft settings super streets should be on a par if not better than stock STi suspension!

Ns04
Old 27 July 2008, 11:18 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martwrxsl
I'm seriously considering getting these fitted to my car. my03 wrx. What sort of difference do they make over the normal setup? I was told that if I got these fitted then there would be no need to use a thicker arb or the rest of the stuff because a decent suspension is the most important handling characteristic of the car.

I'm going to go to xtreme scoobies to go out in one of the cars that has been fitted with the above. Please could people who have the tein suspension fitted give me their views on the electronic damper adjustment and how it has changed the handling of their car.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of money are they quoting?
Old 28 July 2008, 02:01 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
That doesn't sound right at all mate! On the soft settings super streets should be on a par if not better than stock STi suspension!

Ns04
Hhmmm, ok thanks for info. I am just going on what the previous owner has told me they are set too. I might take a look at how their set when I investigate this knocking noise I have.

Is there an easy way to identify how their currently set as I haven't even seen what they look like as yet?
Old 28 July 2008, 08:01 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
What kind of money are they quoting?
£1400 all in with the electronic adjustment. Nolsey at xtreme told that the thicker anti roll bars with the hardest suspension setting would be too much. It causes the car to skit about and your better leaving them standard for a car that will spend 95% on our roads and not the track.

They do stock them and will fit them to the car as well. I trust them 100% but he said to prove the point he has a car with both settings available.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 28 July 2008, 11:49 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Silly question but how do you adjust the stiffness on these (without the electronic gadget)?

Do you just turn the little black nipple type thing on top of the shock as I found this clicks each time you turn it??

If this is the case, does turning it anti-clockwise make it softer?
Old 05 August 2008, 11:01 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

had tein super streets for nearly a year and had no probs whatsoever, not got the electronic damping force control on mine, just adjustable by the little nipple on top of each leg.

they have transford the car and at the moment are set midway all round for stiffness, which to be honest i find a little hard for road driving, but undoubtedly the most improvement to the car for the money spent, along with the anti roll bar, droplinks and anti lift kit, the car handles like nothing else ive ever driven.
Old 05 August 2008, 12:00 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

Did you do anything to your wheels & tyres - what size are they?
Old 05 August 2008, 12:25 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

got 18 inch ultralites with federal ss959 tyres not sure on profile of tyres off top of my head though, then had full geom set up