Front Suspension Knock / noise

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2008, 01:03 PM
Scar70
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension Knock / noise

Hi Hope some one can help.

I have a new age WRX which has developed a slight knock from the front left (near side) wheel.
Could this be a worn strut or strut mount?
What is the best way to check out this problem?
If it is the strut mount where can these be obtained from outher than Subaru direct?

Hope someone can help
Old 29 May 2008, 05:06 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When does the knock occur, without more information it could be a number things but CV joint is what springs to mind.

If it is the CV joint it is more apparent at low speed when turning.
Old 30 May 2008, 11:33 AM
Scar70
Scooby Newbie

The noise seams to be at lower speeds and when turning but only when going over rough or bumpy roads.
Could it be the top strut mount because the handling is still good on the car?
Old 30 May 2008, 12:28 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

how about worn droplinks? i relaced my rear ARB+droplinks with Whiteline items and the clunking knock from the back has been cured as far as i can tell. Would be a good excuse to uprate both ARBs and droplinks allround if you so wish...

Ash

ps mine made the clunking noise at low speed over bumpy ground too

Last edited by AshMurc; 30 May 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: ps...
Old 30 May 2008, 12:56 PM
Scar70
Scooby Newbie

I have just fitted whiteline rear drop links and what a differance to the cars feel. Vast improvement. Should I have changed the ARB as well? I have fitted front links about 1000 miles ago but these were orignals from subaru. Would you think it better to get whiteline for the front also. If so which 1's. I have seen a solid type and a wire type. Which are best.
Old 30 May 2008, 12:57 PM
Scar70
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AshMurc
how about worn droplinks? i relaced my rear ARB+droplinks with Whiteline items and the clunking knock from the back has been cured as far as i can tell. Would be a good excuse to uprate both ARBs and droplinks allround if you so wish...

Ash

ps mine made the clunking noise at low speed over bumpy ground too
what scooby do you drive?
Old 30 May 2008, 05:21 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scar70
The noise seams to be at lower speeds and when turning but only when going over rough or bumpy roads.
Could it be the top strut mount because the handling is still good on the car?
I get somethinh similar but it doesn't have to be turning corners. When I changed the shocks and springs the previous upgrade had not fitted the lower rubber spring 'cups' and I get a slight knocking as a result of that.

Everything else is sound as I have solid, adjustable, top mounts, new springs, shocks, arb, drop links and strut brace
Old 30 May 2008, 08:14 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Could be the ARB bushes (to subframe). Disconnect the ARB links and tie it up outa the way. Does it still knock? if not, it's either your endlinks or bushes.
Old 30 May 2008, 10:50 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

yep i think thats very possible too nixxon. Good thought.

Scar70, i drive a '97 JDW WRX wagon. Yes i would certainly change the ARBs too. I just had a pretty fast drive back from my parents-- cornering really hard, and deffinately feel front ARB+droplinks should be done next as the front now needs tightening up a bit... but yes, a massive improvement, can really launch the car into corners. I went for the steel droplinks as i'm on a budget!! According to Dave at Demon Tweeks the alloy ones are bit stiffer and can handle harder ARBs a bit better. But steelies are still fine and massive improvement. I will be running 22mm ARBs front and rear. If i had gone for 24mm, then the alloy links may have been a better option in the long run.

but after driving up my parents dirt track i can deffinately say the clunking is no more
Old 31 May 2008, 09:13 AM
Scar70
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by nixxon
Could be the ARB bushes (to subframe). Disconnect the ARB links and tie it up outa the way. Does it still knock? if not, it's either your endlinks or bushes.
I have changed the ARB bushes to subframe. These were changed about 500 miles ago but they were originals from subaru. I forgot to mention I have also fitted a whitelline anti lift kit to the front. I still think it has something to do with the strut assembly.

Are these easy to remove and what should I be watching out for?
Old 31 May 2008, 09:24 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Are these easy to remove and what should I be watching out for?
Strut assembly is easy to remove, 3 bolts on top and 2 at the bottom.

The top bolt at the bottom is a camber bolt, make sure you put some tippex or similar to get it realigned when you put it back together unless you plan to get the alignment re-done afterwards.

When dismantling the strut, the tophat is eccentric which needs a little patience in lining up when re-assembling. Also, I split the allen head at the top of one of my struts when taking it apart as it was not that strong, not a problem as they where going in the bin, but if you are re-using the same bits, take care.
Old 31 May 2008, 07:30 PM
Scar70
Scooby Newbie

thanks everone for your thoughts and help.

I will be removing the strut assembly and will let you know what i find

I think i will also get solid front drop links but which one should i go for the wire or solid type? Any advise appreciated
Old 03 June 2008, 02:17 PM
Scar70
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JonMc
Strut assembly is easy to remove, 3 bolts on top and 2 at the bottom.

The top bolt at the bottom is a camber bolt, make sure you put some tippex or similar to get it realigned when you put it back together unless you plan to get the alignment re-done afterwards.

When dismantling the strut, the tophat is eccentric which needs a little patience in lining up when re-assembling. Also, I split the allen head at the top of one of my struts when taking it apart as it was not that strong, not a problem as they where going in the bin, but if you are re-using the same bits, take care.
Just checked the top mount and it does not look to good I think the bearing is SHOT. Do you know where i can get a pair of top strut mounts for a reasonable price?
Old 03 June 2008, 07:24 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

iirc they are about £60-70 from subaru. I paid about £200 for a pair of whiteline adjustable top-mounts including delivery from Demon Tweeks.
Old 03 June 2008, 11:17 PM
Scar70
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JonMc
iirc they are about £60-70 from subaru. I paid about £200 for a pair of whiteline adjustable top-mounts including delivery from Demon Tweeks.
£60-70 quid I have been quoted £105 each from Subaru Norwich and they are not stock items

Is it only whiteline who suppy these top mounts. They dont have to be adjustable I only use my scooby on the road not track?
Old 04 June 2008, 09:53 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

All the aftermarket one's I have seen are adjustable, I am sure there are probably cheaper ones but I like whiteline stuff.

Try these for OE stuff though - SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO PARTS Front Strut Top - Impreza 93-05 Impreza GC8 GF8 1993-2005 : £59.00 : Subaru Impreza Turbo Parts, Tuning, Spares & Accessories : Suspension - Misc -
Old 05 June 2008, 09:02 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

£60-70 quid I have been quoted £105 each from Subaru Norwich and they are not stock items

Is it only whiteline who suppy these top mounts. They dont have to be adjustable I only use my scooby on the road not track?
KYB do them. Try Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By
Excellent service &cheap prices.