Notices

22B suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2002, 12:04 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is it any different to a standard turbo and is there any difference between UK and Jap models? Ive got hold of a set, which should be ok on my UK beast, as I need a new set of shocks and springs.

MB
Old 29 January 2002, 10:51 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Bennetm

It is quite different to the suspension fitted to a UK car. It will fit, but the ride/handling will be interesting.

The rumour is that Prodrive were developing the spring/damper rates for the 22B, but the project got hijacked by STi. The result was rates that would be great on track or on the billiard table roads of Japan, but horrendous everywhere else.

Ands that's pretty much how every single magazine road test of the 22B described the result.

In the wet, you will struggle to keep with mundane cars.

You may be able to get the dampers re-valved before they go on to your car. Ideally, you want a bit less damping (well actually a lot less) and a bit more spring rate. This will give more compliance and less body roll.

It may work with some Eibachs, but I don't know any 22B owners that have gone for lowering springs only. Most ditched the standard stuff and went for full coilover installations.
Old 29 January 2002, 01:38 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pete,

Worth a try. I drive the car prety hard as there are quite a few twisty roads round here so will be interesting to see how it goes. Dealer will probably be fitting them at the next service so I will see if any adjustments can be done. I take it the ride will be a bit harsh then?

Using 18's too so the shocks + springs will be working more. I will let you know how I get on! I got them V cheap so not a great loss if they don't do the job...

MB