Notices

HELP - Droplink question

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2008, 01:42 PM
garycliff
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Droplink question

Sorry I posted this in the General Technical and think it would be better here.

Only had my 06 STI for 4 weeks and have noticed a knocking from the rear. Took to the dealer I bought it from and after asking on this forum they agreed to fit new rear struts as it was a known problem.

However, went to collect it on Friday and they said the knocking was still there even after the new struts fitted. They then came in and said one of the droplinks at the rear connected to the anti-roll bar was broken, and this in turn had put a large strain on the other one causing it to deform. That was causing the knocking.

After they panicked as they had missed it they managed to find two they had for another job and fit them.

My question is do these break often? The mechanic said he had never seen this before, and that the car wouldn't be safe to drive, but I had been driving it for four weeks!!!

What would cause it to break. He claims he can see no damage to any other part underneath the car and even brought me out to show me. It's just I specifically asked if the car had any accident damage before I bought it and they said definately not.

The car has only 9 months Subaru warranty and I would like to know if this could cause any damage that might not appear until after that time?

Thanks for reading

Gary
Old 08 April 2008, 12:43 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under normal driving, I wouldn't have thought they would break easily.

I did 100,000 on my originals across plenty of very rough Scottish roads without any problems. Only changed mine as an upgrade and they were fine for 20,000 miles.