Notices

AST Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2008, 04:08 PM
Maccers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AST Suspension Question

Hello - I have a classic UK Turbo 2000 and have Powerstations Stage 3 handling kit, which uses the AST SportLine shocks and springs.

The shocks are adjustable between hard and soft, but I wanted to know if they will allow the car to sit lower?

The car is used 99% for track days, has no interior except one seat, harness and roll cage - so wont be used on the road for carrying passengers/shopping/junk etc.

The car handles well, but I was wandering if there would be any value in lowering it?

Am running Rota 7*7.5 wheels with 205/40 Proxy 888 tyres all round.

Any advice on if lowering is a good thing, and how you do this with AST would be welcome!

Cheers.
Old 19 March 2008, 06:44 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several ways to achieve the right result, depends how careful you wish to be on set-up:
Simple way

The AST has an adjustable spring platform (more of a large ring actually) which, when slackened, can be screwed by hand up and down the length of each strut.

The 'best' practical height setting I've found in 5 years of fiddling with Impreza's is to screw the rings on the front until the front lower wishbones are level with the road (obviously with the car on the ground)

This is a bit trial and error. Be very sure the rings are in the same place on the struts when done. Tighten the snmall pinch allen headed screws in the rings tight.

Lower the rear in the same way until the sills of the car (use the area exposed with the front door open and a spirit level) are level with the road.

This setting will allow you to drive over speed bumps and allow fast lowered progress on track.

Best way

As above, but to have this all done along with a full alignment by someone who knows what they are doing.
Have the car 'corner weighted' and the ride height and dynamics of the car will be far better.
Remember to be sure of your weight, as whoever does it should ask you for it, unless you do track events with a passenger.

IMHO find Mocom in your area and have them do the full monty on the chassis for you. I think the contact is Zak.

Hope this helps.
Old 21 March 2008, 01:49 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You've confused me Graham!

"The 'best' practical height setting I've found in 5 years of fiddling with Impreza's is to screw the rings on the front until the front lower wishbones are level with the road (obviously with the car on the ground)"

The wishbones are below the spring platform and lifting the body up and down i.e. lift the spring platform up and down on the strut won't move the wishbone, will it?
Old 22 March 2008, 10:57 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, worked it out now.

Lowering car body via lowering the AST spring platforms will also lower the engine / crossmember, so inner part of wishbone ( and rear mount ) will be lower too and so change the angle!

May take a while but I get there in the end.

Good luck racing the 911 today, 911 !
Old 22 March 2008, 08:32 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing the 911 was a real nostalgia trip today.

Do you have to Drive the 911!
The Impreza is so flattering to the driver skills, and the 911 shouts at you to DRIVE PROPERLY!

Just SO MUCH FUN and the 911 flat 6 on OPEN exhausts is just glorious.
The sound tester was very generous to me today as he loves the car!

Sideways moments, understeer followed by oversteer and every shade inbetween, snatching brakes, darting steering and real seat-of-the-pants action.

Ok, 230 bhp in a tonne is not exactly 'electric' but such a blast.

Sublime.

Impreza for sale again.