Notices

H+R springs anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 04:15 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Been thinking for ages about suspension upgrades and can't decide which way to go. I've got to decide soon 'cos the nearside damper has begun to knock.

I want to lower it (so Eibachs are out of the window) but i also want it to sit lower at the front (i don't like seein cars sat **** down!!) so Avo coilovers seemed a good option. Especially as NAM are offering them at £650. However they don't seem to be getting such a rave review now. H+R springs were recommended a bit back and i think i might go this way with Koni dampers.

Does anyone have any pics of their car with these springs fitted (or any other form of lowering spring), any experiences etc. or any other recommendations.

Cheers,

Tony.

P.S are Koni's replacement inserts or complete struts??
Old 23 January 2002, 08:16 AM
daw
Scooby Regular

My MY00 with H&R springs.

I'd recommend you go for KYB AGX shocks. They are made for the previous model Impreza and feature easy adjustability. They work very well with the H&R springs. The Konis involve the destruction of your own donor struts, are only rebound adjustable and you have to pull your rear seats out to adjust them.

Old 23 January 2002, 10:32 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers daw,

Thats exactly what im after. The car looks superb btw, just removes the gap between the tyre and arch without bein' to low. Just out of interest how much did you pay for the KYBs (pass the currency converter pls .

Cheers,

Tony.
Old 23 January 2002, 11:47 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Tone, I am interested in the H+R springs as well. Do you have a price and name of supplier?

Cheers

Stuart
Old 23 January 2002, 11:57 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

The suspension on my car may need replacing, I'm getting it checked on my next service in a couple of weeks. This sounds like the kind of setup I would go for. Please could you tell me where I can buy the springs and shocks from and possibly give me an idea of how much they would cost. My car is a MY95 WRX.

Thanks

Ken
Old 23 January 2002, 01:45 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Question

So far i've not really looked around that much for suppliers. I do know that Demon Tweeks are a stockist. I got a price a while back and i think they worked out quite expensive for springs. It was either £175 or £225, can't remember properly .

Reports i've had said they're as good as Eibachs but lower it by about 25mm, which is what i want.

If you find out anymore prices let me know.

Tony.

[Edited by Tone Loc - 1/23/2002 1:46:42 PM]
Old 23 January 2002, 09:52 PM
daw
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the compliments Tone,

OK, here goes:

H&R spring: AUD$500-550 = UK181-200 a set of 4.
KYB AGX: From AUD$1120-1550 = UK400-562 for 4.

All prices include 10% GST (our VAT). It pays to shop around!

By contrast, Tire Rack in the US sells the AGXs for US$99 per corner which is UK69. That is AUD764 = UK276 for a set. I looked into this option but the shipping was rather steep and you still have to add tax & duty etc.

Yes, the H&R are a little more pricy than other springs but you get what you pay for. No settling, no sagging, beautifully designed and made progressive springs. The ride is really rather good. They lower a MY00 by 20-30mm which still gives enough suspension travel.

I also love the AGX as you can set them from 1-4 (soft to firm) at the front and from 1-8 at the rear. The front you just pop the bonnet and adjust with a little screwdriver that they supply. The rear, slide under the back and click the **** on the back of the shock.

The H&R spring on my standard shocks reduced my lap times by 1 second at a track that I am very familiar with. This is a lot! I'll know how much the AGXs improve my times next Sunday

I also have a 22mm adjustable rear sway bar. There are some "experts" on this forum that will try to tell you that this is not a good mod, but if pressed, you will find that they have never even tried one. Say no more ;-)

Hope this help!

Regards,

David

Trending Topics

Old 24 January 2002, 01:23 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers David, ill have to try to find a supllier for the shocks in the UK. £69 a corner sounded nice tho!!

Tony.
Old 25 January 2002, 07:09 PM
Bad Bads
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I am in the market for spring's myself so phoned Demon Tweeks direct and they only stock Eibach's.
Anybody know of another supplier?
Cheers Paul.
Old 25 January 2002, 07:56 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi, i got my H&R springs from Star Performance up here in scotland www.starperformance.co.uk

Give em a ring, they will sort you out.

Ian

Oh, i too would be interested in finding out who stocks the KYB shocks

[Edited by Maxy_UK - 1/25/2002 7:57:26 PM]
Old 26 January 2002, 05:20 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I've been speaking to Bren at Apexperformance and it appears that KYB do not import the AGX shocks to this country, well not yet anyway. I have found a site in the states that sell them for 389 USD a set, but then you've got shipping and VAT and duty etc. Bren says that KYB should be doing the AGX's in this country around March so if u can wait....