FYI - MY'01 Springs

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2002, 10:24 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Dear all,

I stand corrected on a few things, from a technical perspective and this may be useful information for some.

- Prodrive/Eibach MY'01 springs are not softer than the Eibach springs.

- Prodrive/Eibach MY'01 springs have been re-designed to give the best ride quality over the roads of Britain, and reduce contact with the bumpstops on your typical English B roads. And also to improve weight transfer which effects grip.

- (the current)Eibach spring kit was not designed for the MY'01 specifically, but has been found to work on the MY'01 by certain vendors.

At the end of the day, the best thing anyone can do, is try the different options for themselves to see what suits best.

FYI - Eibach are said to be producing a full spring and damper kit for the MY'01 this year, end of first quarter.

Regards, Alex

[Edited by DrEvil - 1/15/2002 10:28:14 AM]
Old 15 January 2002, 10:42 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

To add - although I drove a car with the eibach kit, it didn't have 18" wheels (like mine), it had the standard 17"s, so really it wasn't a like for like comparision.
Old 16 January 2002, 01:52 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Alex,

Why did you remove your comments from the other thread and then re-post here? Where did you get your new info from? If they are not softer, but
springs have been re-designed to give the best ride quality over the roads of Britain, and reduce contact with the bumpstops on your typical English B roads
what is the difference? Perhaps the "old" Pro Kit springs are linear and the new Prodrive Eibachs are rising rate?

Anybody? Mike Wood, can you comment (because if you state the differences in detail, perhaps people can make a more informed descion and are more likely to see where the increased value in the Prodrive springs are?)

Matt
Old 16 January 2002, 02:35 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Doh.. perhaps removing the posts was over kill.

Also I was posting on about 5 or more different threads, so my comments were all over the place.

Just wanted a one stop shop as it were. Sorry peeps.

Don't know what the full differences were, but had the basics explained to me, which was useful, and hence this post. I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other.

I've got to say, the springs have bedded in nicely now, and as its been dryer, I've been able to give them a little more abuse. All good so far.

But I'm suffering the MY'01 tramlining issue, which seems to relate to certain tyres and certain wear.

I've decided I'm going to wait and see what full spring/damper kits are made up over the next few months, and hopefully test some out.

I would also like to test, in anger, the eibachs on a MY'01 with 18" or hear from someone who has them. As we may be able to get together and drive each others car or at least passenger, over the same bit of road to see what differences there are. Bumpy B road of course. This may ultimately mean fitting them myself (well a garage fitting them anyway).

Alex

[Edited by DrEvil - 1/16/2002 2:36:56 PM]
Old 17 January 2002, 08:51 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Alex

My car has the Eibach's fitted now (using 18" wheels) - observations so far:

Car has settled down now after about a week (springs were fitted by Powersation, who also did the geometry adjustments).

The car sits roughly 20mm lower, which has improved the looks.

Ride is certainly stiffer - you do feel the poor road surfaces more and you have to be a little careful with speed bumps, but overall it is still acceptable. Ride quality on faster roads is fine.

Handling is much improved - much less understeer, there also appears to be a little more weight in the steering.

Interestingly enough, Powerstation did say that they had had problems fitting the Prodrive springs to an MY01 - don't know anymore details (it may have been a one off incident). Their opinion seemed to be that there was only a small difference between the two types of springs. Obviously if you fit lowered springs of any type there is going to be some compromise somewhere.

Up until now the word from Eibach has been that the springs for the MY00 / MY01 are identical, so it will be interesting to see if this changes.

Chris
Old 17 January 2002, 05:52 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

So anybody driven both on the same size wheels?????

Matt
Old 17 January 2002, 10:29 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chris,
I believe that was my MY01 that you and powerstation are refering to. Indeed Powerstation did have a little trouble fitting the Prodrive springs. They seam to have a wider diameter and proved more difficult to settle in the platforms of the strut. Everything fine now with no problems after 3-4 weeks of driving.
Nigel

Trending Topics

Old 19 January 2002, 05:35 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Could well have been Nigel - glad to hear everything is OK.

Chris