Notices

Fitting an "anti-lift" kit

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2007, 05:37 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fitting an "anti-lift" kit

Further to my recent thread on the Perrin ALK I would appreciate comments re- the fitting of an ALK (probably Whiteline) as a DIY job. Can the job be done without removing the subframe support bracket? It all looks rather tight down there! Does the suspension need to be loaded or can it be done by lifting one side at a time and removing the wheel for better access?
Any tips or instructions would be most welcome, before I make a decision.
JohnD
Old 01 November 2007, 06:30 PM
Scooby Regular

On the Whiteline site Whiteline Automotive - performance handling and suspension products. car spring coil shock damper swaybar sway bar anti-sway bush bushes australia australian whiteline automotive performance road holding turn-in camber caster toe in vehicle hot 4 v8 there are copies of their instruction sheets which can be printed off.

You will find the bolts extreeeeemly tight! As in VERY.

No need to remove the wheels as the car will need to be jacked up well and very secure on stands with all the tight spannering needed.
The rear bush can be removed with the suspension best in ride height but it is all a fight to be honest. The Whiteline/Perrin can be fitted with the suspension at any position as the polyurethane bushes are free to swivel.

Use tones of grease on assembly, and ideally the front end needs to be re-aligned. I put a drop of 'loctite' on the wishbone nut just to be sure...

The Perrin unit has a neat grease nipple in the housing which is very good as the bushes will run dry eventually and squeek/seize over time.
Old 01 November 2007, 07:24 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing what they did at Mocom last weekend I'm glad I did'nt touch it .
They did actually drop the subframe to do mine and also had the hassle of finding one of the securing bolts to be cross threaded from the factory .
Still it's all on now, just waiting to hear about getting my alignment sorted as their ramp broke !.
Got to be anytime soon I would think.

Mark.
Old 01 November 2007, 09:27 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Cheers 911 I went to the Whiteline site but missed the link to "instructions"
The annoying thing is that I have no access to a ramp or lift, just jacks and axle stands. This may be OK but resricts the use of tooling long enough to tackle those high torque figures. In addition, the Whiteline instuctions say to lower the car onto its wheels to assume the correct suspension arm angle before tightening the bolts/bush nut. I HATE to have to consider paying to have it done, as with the car on a lift, I would be perfectly capable of the job! (mind you, Osteo-arthritis in my wrist joints is not good for high torque spanner wielding!)

Mark - YHPM
JohnD
Old 01 November 2007, 10:46 PM
Scooby Regular

I do all my own work on my tweeked Impreza on axle stands...
Try a gearbox out/in that way!
Old 01 November 2007, 11:01 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Further to my recent thread on the Perrin ALK I would appreciate comments re- the fitting of an ALK (probably Whiteline) as a DIY job. Can the job be done without removing the subframe support bracket? It all looks rather tight down there! Does the suspension need to be loaded or can it be done by lifting one side at a time and removing the wheel for better access?
Any tips or instructions would be most welcome, before I make a decision.
JohnD

check out my post about building a track car in projects buy the whiteline alk its top quality how do i know i supply them and fit them geo

Last edited by cusco kid; 01 November 2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02 November 2007, 10:36 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Cheers 911 I went to the Whiteline site but missed the link to "instructions"
The annoying thing is that I have no access to a ramp or lift, just jacks and axle stands. This may be OK but resricts the use of tooling long enough to tackle those high torque figures. In addition, the Whiteline instuctions say to lower the car onto its wheels to assume the correct suspension arm angle before tightening the bolts/bush nut. I HATE to have to consider paying to have it done, as with the car on a lift, I would be perfectly capable of the job! (mind you, Osteo-arthritis in my wrist joints is not good for high torque spanner wielding!)

Mark - YHPM
JohnD

John, you have mail back .