AST's for Spec C suspension

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2007, 08:53 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AST's for Spec C suspension

Guys,
I have a MY04 Spec C ltd(view my scooby), i am thinking of getting the AST and turning it into a TYPE 20 (ALREADY HAVE ALL THE OTHER STUFF DONE) cost is approx £1600 fitted, would this be cost effective when it comes to re-sale(i know it will depreciate) and how much could i get for the Spec C suspension???

And would there be a REAL difference??

Thanks in advance

Mac
Old 27 September 2007, 09:49 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Why is your suspension costing £1600 fitted? It's only £1095 here to buy, so fitting can't be £500 surely!
AST Suspension
You need to pm Al C from the wyioc's, as he's done a similar thing with his spec c and I think you'll find the answer is a deffo big YES, there will be a real difference between the two.
AST's are the dogs when it comes to reasonably priced suspension upgrades, and I've driven a few cars now with them fitted. (I'm still saving for my own setup)

I don't think you'll get much, if anything, for your old suspension. Rumour has it that powerstation have a room full of old sti/spec c suspension struts
Old 27 September 2007, 09:55 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Had AST's fitted to my classic yesterday and the difference is night and day, get it done you will not regret it!

Banny
Old 27 September 2007, 01:27 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

AST makes a big difference on the classic especially the non STI. but I dissagree on the Spec C. A standard chassis Spec C can do BTG of 8.05 on the Ring on std rubber too. This is in the hands of a mere mortal like you and I so why change the suspension - it's brilliant as it is! Save the £1600 for Ring trips - really!

F
Old 27 September 2007, 06:48 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
Why is your suspension costing £1600 fitted? It's only £1095 here to buy, so fitting can't be £500 surely!
AST Suspension
You need to pm Al C from the wyioc's, as he's done a similar thing with his spec c and I think you'll find the answer is a deffo big YES, there will be a real difference between the two.
AST's are the dogs when it comes to reasonably priced suspension upgrades, and I've driven a few cars now with them fitted. (I'm still saving for my own setup)

I don't think you'll get much, if anything, for your old suspension. Rumour has it that powerstation have a room full of old sti/spec c suspension struts
Guys,

Thanks for the replies, i beleive that is before VAT and also there are a couple of whiteline bits and braided brake hoses, £1600 was approx from Mr Litchfield himself and i get the T20 badging etc.

Mac
Old 29 September 2007, 05:29 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my opinion:
For all fully adjustable suspension units a great deal of effort is needed to get the adjustment right to squeeze the very best out of them, and AST's are no different.
The 3 ways need particular care to get the right blend.
I am organising a sprint track day on Oct 9th just for AST owners where Curtis from AST/Powerstation will be there to help sort a few cars out. See my topic in this section if interested.
Old 29 September 2007, 07:37 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
You need to pm Al C from the wyioc's, as he's done a similar thing with his spec c
Alan's car isn't a Spec C. It was a JDM Sti which was converted to T20 status by Litchfields prior to collection. Al never drove it before (AFAIK) the AST' and Whiteline goodies were fitted, along with the Miltek and remap. Still an awesome car (I've driven it) but it ain't a Spec C. I drove my humble UK WRX PPP for 2 year on OE suspension before fitting AST's and can definitely confirm their brilliance. Unlike many I actually used the adjustability, tailoring it to whatever I was doing with the car at any time and it was superb. Of the 12 settings I used 1 or 2 around town for comfort, 4 for spirited wet driving and 6 in the dry. I tried going higher but felt it left the car too twitchy and making the break-away too sudden, I prefer to feel the car move a little (but just a little). On track I tried 9f 8r but as it was a tight twisty track it was again too twitchy, settling at 8/7 that day. On a more open flowing circuit then 9+ may have been of some benefit.

God I miss that car
Old 29 September 2007, 08:36 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

I fitted ASTs to my JDM - i thought they were awesome.
Old 29 September 2007, 09:18 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I have ASTs on my JDM and think they are awesome.
Old 29 September 2007, 10:50 PM
funnyclub
Scooby Regular

I have a spec-c and I am thinking of going for them as well but i am worried will they be knocky and rattly like alot of coilovers. I really like the spec-c out of the back but i find it sits to high and I dont really want to just go for lowering springs.
Also how are they for everyday driving?
Old 30 September 2007, 12:44 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Just as a counterpoint to the usual ASTs are brilliant - I fitted ASTs to my MY99 STi and was disappointed in the investment.

Having fitted ARBs, ALK, full poly-bushing and solid rear drop links the ASTs were the last thing to go on and the mod that produced the most disappointing outcome. They have been taken off the car now.

I thought the car did a couple of things a little better than the stock STi suspension but overall was too soft IMHO and this was after discussing context and use with the vendor and putting on their recommended spring rates. It also 'felt' as if it would have been underdamped with harder springs.

Maybe I just like hard suspension ;-)
Old 30 September 2007, 02:20 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

also thinking about doing the same to my spec C but with these EXE-TC Adjustable Fast Road Coil Over Kit not AST.
Old 30 September 2007, 03:30 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Just as a counterpoint to the usual ASTs are brilliant - I fitted ASTs to my MY99 STi and was disappointed in the investment.

I thought the car did a couple of things a little better than the stock STi suspension but overall was too soft IMHO and this was after discussing context and use with the vendor and putting on their recommended spring rates. It also 'felt' as if it would have been underdamped with harder springs.

Maybe I just like hard suspension ;-)
Been there, got the T shirt!

F
Old 30 September 2007, 08:45 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get any coil-overs to work well you have to work at them. I have now cracked mine after 2 years. If they are multi-way adjustable it is very hard to get them right and right for the particular driver. My set-up might not appeal to others and vica versa.

I tried the usual 50/40 rates, then 60/50, and back to 50/40 for hillclimbs. The 'Ring may need something else. I'm sure Floyd will agree.

I think if I had the fortune to have a modern Spec C I would keep the stock dampers and fit some lower springs but only after playing with the roll bars.

If the car was track only? Could be a different story.
Old 30 September 2007, 09:39 PM
chunkb
Scooby Regular

Get EXE-TC,a lot better.
Old 01 October 2007, 01:09 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

That is what is on my old Sti now - although I don't own it anymore.

Now have a Spec C with standard suspension which is great.
Old 01 October 2007, 11:31 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Originally Posted by Rannoch
That is what is on my old Sti now - although I don't own it anymore.

Now have a Spec C with standard suspension which is great.
And the EXE-tc make the AST stuff that was on there feel sh1te. Far better investment with hindsight!
Old 01 October 2007, 12:37 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

If I had the money!

F