Notices

Can anyone give me a detailed spec of what set up I should have

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2007, 12:54 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Can anyone give me a detailed spec of what set up I should have

I will start with a quote by 911 (hope you dont mind from an old thread.

´´Basic rule:
Soft front and stiff rear will help kill understeer.
Too stiff in the rear and instability is introduced which could be called oversteer.

A chassis that has the tendancy to over/under steer will entertain, a neutral one will be the quicker car as control is easy in comparison but the drama will be missing.
Depends if you want entertainment or to get from A to B the quickest way.´´

I dont want something that becomes totaly neutral in its handling. As 911 said you many be faster but I want fun getting there and I like the reasurance of feedback I get when I induce the fronts or the rears to go - I know where I am with the car then.

I will buying my third classic this winter and will want the work done.

OK what am I after.

The car and conditions -
A classic late WRX non DCCD obviously and non ABS
For many months of the year I drive in the alpine area often in harsh weather. So I NEED a car that is predictable on the limits.

The requirement -

I need a car that still power understeers on the limit of grip. And still oversteers when you lift off or trail brake. So I want a car that still basicaly has the same handling characteristics as standard car BUT I want it to do this in a far taughter, stiffer and even more predictable way.

What do you think the ideal set up be for me to have fitted and on which settings - In terms of ARBs front and rear, Anti Lift, Bumpsteer, Drop links
Geometry set up etc etc?

Thanks all
Steve

(I dont want something that is nice and tight but power oversteers on the limits. Although perfect and more fun for many - this is kin hopeless for me when I am in a blizzard or the road temps are changing from below to above freezing every few Kilometers )