Notices

newage sti rear strut alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2007, 01:41 PM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newage sti rear strut alternatives

In common with a lot of other folk, I am suffering from a rattly ns rear strut at low speed. The car has covered 37000 miles and is on its second set of struts - the first being replaced at 18000 miles under warranty.
So, it appears that the Subaru fix lasts for about 1.5 services. Which, frankly, is rubbish.
This is my third Subaru. Neither of the others, both which covered 40000 miles (a classic and wrx newage), suffered from suspension problems. In fact, this is the my only gripe with the car.

So the question is:

Does anyone know of an alternative which will give a longer life than Subaru struts?

If I could be guaranteed long term rattle free motoring, I would be prepared to pay more than for the Subaru fix.

The car is only used on the road.

Thanks in anticipation
Old 06 August 2007, 02:21 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Default RATTLE

Unfortunatly i cant answer your question but will keep an eye on peoples response as mine does exactly the same. Fingers crossed.

Regards Dan
Old 06 August 2007, 05:06 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

check that your rear seat had been locked onto the catches properly cos mine wasnt after i had my rear struts replaced and this caused a rattle,if u get your arm down the bk u will soon tell weather it is or not.
Old 14 August 2007, 08:48 AM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

Judging by the replies (or lack of them), I assume there is no real alternative to getting the manufacturers' replacement when you can't live the rattles anymore.

So, here is a supplementary question: Does anyone know of a way to slow down the deterioration of the new struts after they are fitted in order to increase their life? (eg. cleaning, greasing)
Old 14 August 2007, 02:55 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I've read that jacking the car up and smearing the shiny bit of the strut with silicone grease helps.

Was also wondering if KYB replacement struts were available and whether they suffered from the knocking problem.
Old 15 August 2007, 02:08 PM
b11fyn
Scooby Regular

I fitted a set of these KYB off e-bay, fitted perfectly & a pair delivered to my door for only £220.

I have done over 2k miles with no issues & in my opinion i havent noticed any difference in handling, seems ok to me.

02 wrx sti ppp.

shaun....

A2Z MOTORIST 1 STOP CENTER. EBAYS LARGEST CAR PARTS STORE, MASSIVE RANGE OF DISCOUNTED PARTS . BRAKES, FILTERS, HYDRAULICS,WATER PUMPS,RADIATORS, SUSPENSION PARTS,BUSHES,IGNITION, CLUTCHES, OUR OWN INHOUSE WORKSHOP ALL PARTS FITTED SKYPE - ZIGGY-A2Z 01924 45 12 77 EMAIL INFO@ATOZMOTORSPARES.CO.UK