Notices

suspension recommendations for MY97 UK Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2007, 08:44 PM
white knight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension recommendations for MY97 UK Turbo

My UK Turbo 2000 is now 10 years old, with 83k on it, and it's feeling a little baggy. I have the standard dampers, with Eibach Sport springs, alloy rear ARB drop links, and a front strut brace.

What would people recommend? I like the compliancy of the standard set-up, so am considering just OEM dampers and bushes. If I went for coilovers, such as Tein or KW, I'd be prepared to loose some of that compliancy for extra control, but it still needs to be useable daily and on all types of roads.

Ideally, I'd like to experience the options on the roads before I hand over my hard-earned! Has anyone got first-hand experience of before and after having coilovers fitted?
Old 16 May 2007, 01:22 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by white knight
My UK Turbo 2000 is now 10 years old, with 83k on it, and it's feeling a little baggy. I have the standard dampers, with Eibach Sport springs, alloy rear ARB drop links, and a front strut brace.

What would people recommend? I like the compliancy of the standard set-up, so am considering just OEM dampers and bushes. If I went for coilovers, such as Tein or KW, I'd be prepared to loose some of that compliancy for extra control, but it still needs to be useable daily and on all types of roads.

Ideally, I'd like to experience the options on the roads before I hand over my hard-earned! Has anyone got first-hand experience of before and after having coilovers fitted?
Most coilovers completely OTT for road use; the ride is appalling!

Go for Eibach spings mated to the std dampers or KYB adjustables with uprated ARBs front and rear and a good allignment I'd say! That should improve handling significantly whilst retaining the std ride quality.

Ns04

PS Oh, I should probably acknowledge 911's copyright on such advice)

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 16 May 2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 16 May 2007, 02:06 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Went from Sti5 stuff to KW V3s. Ride is stiffer but acceptable to me. Damping is easily adjustable of course so you have some say in the matter.
Old 20 June 2007, 01:07 PM
white knight
Scooby Regular

Went in the end for a set of pink STI dampers, adjustable for bound and rebound.

Ride is still useable, definitely harder and more jittery at low speed, but the trade off is superb control and handling

So much sharper and chuckable now than before, and I've not yet had the geometry checked and aligned to my preferred settings.
Old 26 June 2007, 10:48 PM
Grey Import
Scooby Regular

Can I ask where you got your STi dampers from and at what price?

cheers Jamie
Old 27 June 2007, 07:17 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink UK suspension

LOL @ Ns04!

If you want a supple well mannered tight car then the Sti route is the best package.
Refreshing all the essential parts only adds to the effect.
The addition of the Whiteline rollbars even to Sti systems will enhance the car no end, and this combination will make the car much faster, much safer and will not de-value the car at all.

It will be the car you thought Subaru should have made.

To find the parts ie Sti V6, buy Japanese Performance magazine and call the numerous breakers advertising. You might also find someone who has upgraded to Coil-overs and kept the old Sti units.

I have a complete Sti V3 system in my shed with 21K miles on them, all shiney and black. I'm keeping them to return the car to stock in years/months to come, but there must be others like me.

Sti spend a good deal of $$$ and time to get the car right, you can benefit on you lardy UK turbo!

Graham

ps: I feel Coil-over can be made to ride and work as good as any oem system and then go on to far higher levels, but such mods will compromise the car for every day use.
If you rode in my hillclimb racer you would be pleasently surprised by the ride on the road, and impressed on the track.
Old 28 June 2007, 09:41 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Havea look at the group buy im running may be of help to save the £s

KIP

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ml#post7061567