Notices

Wish-boned.

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2007, 08:28 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish-boned.

I've found a worn bush on the lower passenger side wishbone on my MY98 uk turbo, its the one nearest the gearbox. Theres a bit of movement to it and it makes a bit of a creaking/knocking noise but doesn't affect the handling. The questions are......
1. Can i just put a washer in there to stop the movement or is it a relatively easy job to get the wishbone out. I've got a mate that will press a new bush in for me.
2. How much will i be looking at for a new bush.
3. While i'm doing this one is it worth doing the other 2 on the same side. Again, how much.
4. If i do one side would i feel a difference if i didn't do the other.

Ta
Andy.
Old 13 May 2007, 06:55 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take advantage of this situation!

Remobe BOTH rear bushes.
Buy a Whiteline road spec Anti Lift Kit (from several sources, try Power Station above) and fit them. Easy job though the bolts will be super tight so an impact gun is very useful.

Check the front bushes while the arms are out. Replace them with new or Powerflec road spec plastic bushes if tired.
Re align to a good spec and the car will be improved and safe again.

Do not mess with washers, and never do just one side (IMHO).
Graham.
Old 14 May 2007, 09:22 AM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Cheers Graham i will heed your advice. Do poly bushes need pressing back in or are they not that tight a fit?

Cheers
Andy.
Old 14 May 2007, 06:26 PM
Scooby Regular

No, that is the nice bit.
The old bushes are contained in a thin wall steel tube, about 1.5mm thick.
You need to press the old out or drill the old rubber and slide a hacksaw in and CAREFULLY cut through the outer tube.
A good squirt of WD40 into the cut will see the lot drift out.
It may be harder if your car has steel wishbones.

Clean the resulting wishbone arm to a smooth finish (wet-or-dry will do.
The poly bushes are supplied as 2 halves. Squeeze them into place with stacks of grease, also before you squeeze the stainless spacer tube in get the gap between the installed bushes solid with grease.
The lub on the tube will be wiped off as the interference fit of the tube/bushes is quite high.
They will all go together well enough.

Oddly, re lubing mine tonight! (after 2 years) which is simply maintenence on my part.

Make sure the pivot bolt goes together with dry threads, too easy to get grease on the threads so leaving the nut a bit 'slack'.
Not good having slack nuts on your suspenders!

Sorry: Over and Out.
Graham.
Old 16 May 2007, 10:00 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

I've copped out! The plan was to take the arms off on the drive (20 mins a side i reckon as i had some of the bolts out to find the knock) and take them to my mate garage to get the bushes pressed in/out. However its going in to get the gearbox oil seal replaced and he's said he'll do it for me to avoid the fuching about. Result.

I'm just going to wait and see what money is left at the end of the month and i might replace the drop links.

Andy.
Old 23 May 2007, 04:07 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Graham thanks for the advice. Fitted some proflex (sumat like that anyway)bushes today and it feels much better. Just gota sort out the rear end knock now that i asked you about a while ago, think it may be a bit of a worn shocker. P1 ones though.

Andy.
Old 23 May 2007, 07:43 PM
Scooby Regular