Notices

2007 STi Options

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2007, 02:29 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 STi Options

Hi, I'm wanting to stick some 18" wheels onto my 2007 STi Spec-D but its already sitting reasonably high on the standard 17" wheels... so I'm going to need some springs fitted to counter the 1" raise with the new wheels.

I am considering Tein S-Tech Springs, just wondering if people know if they're available for the Hawkeye STi's yet?? If so, who would be the cheapest/best supplier for these??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 17 April 2007, 10:50 PM
timmccr
Scooby Regular

If you fit lower profile tyres, you won't gain an inch. Just find the appropriate size to give a similar over-all wheel diameter.

As for springs, not sure if Tein springs are available yet, but I've always liked the look of them and I've never heard any bad stories about them.

It might be worth checking if Prodrive make any springs for the Hawkeye STis. They'll lower it between 25 and 30mm I'd imagine. It may even be that Blobeye Prodrive springs will fit - I see no reason why they shouldn't.

I'll have a nosey about and report any findings.
Old 18 April 2007, 08:32 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

First of all, you only need to worry about half an inch increase.

I was under the impression that Prodrive did do springs which lowers the car but the Subaru web site has just been changed and now I can not find them.
Old 18 April 2007, 01:56 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, well I'm tempted to go for Teins as I ran them on a Celica GT4 that I had and didnt have any problems at all....

BUT....

I've been told about Whiteline 'Flat-Out' Springs which are quite new out but meant to give a pretty impressive look/feel/drop. Does anyone have any experience with these springs??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 19 April 2007, 08:52 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Be careful with fitting springs that lower the car too much. Later cars have limited travel and if you go too low the car just sits on the front bumpstops which gives huge understeer and a worse ride than std. You also need to make sure that they have been developed specifically for the car, 03/04MY springs fit later cars but don't work very well (unless they didn't work on 03/04MY in the first place!!)

Mike
Old 29 May 2007, 04:17 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike, appreciate the input and apologies for the late reply.. I did a bit of research and made sure that the springs I ordered were for a 2006- STi and not just a Blobeye set. I wasnt really wanting to put Prodrive Spring Kit on the car as I've read of knocking issues and also wanted a little more of a drop than it offered. So, I've fitted some Tein S-Tech springs which look great along with the 18" wheels that I've fitted, it actually gives a better ride than it did on the standard 17" wheels and springs.

I'd really like a bit of advice from the Suspension experts here that have tried and tested various different combinations.. so my next question is: what sort of ARB set-up do you recommend for the car??

- I already have the following fitted, not much granted, but it handles nicely at the moment:

Standard STi Struts
Tein S-Tech Springs (F-35mm R-25mm)
18" Rota Alloys with 225/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 XL

- I have been told to fit the following as a package to suit my needs:

Whiteline 22mm Front Adjustable ARB
Whiteline 24mm Rear Adjustable ARB
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
Standard Front and Rear Droplinks as they are already solid on the 2006- STi
Proper Geometry Setup (Prodrive/*Corradoboy Settings)

I want the car to have no understeer, but I also dont want it to knock the back end out all the time and be oversteery as hell...
What I really want is a very quick point to point car that has a responsive ride with the ability to really stick it into the bends with confidence and maybe with the rear end coming out of tight corners, under hard acceleration.

Cheers,
Grant

* Read a thread before updating this one and saw Corradoboy's settings and while I've got no real grasp on the settings he posted, the description of how the car handles sounds really similar to my requirements.
Old 29 May 2007, 04:24 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thats the settings that I saw..

Cheers,
Grant

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2007, 05:27 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They look fairly stable settings - could do with more caster though IMO.
Old 29 May 2007, 08:29 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

get in touch with Zak at mocom, he setup my car exactly as you want, and altho i dont have the settings here he will be able to advise you on what to have it set too
Old 31 May 2007, 05:27 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks Timmyboy... Will drop probably drop them an e-mail when I get my ARB situation sorted and need the settings for taking it to get aligned.

Dynamix, what would more Caster do to the handling of the car??

Also, can anyone give me any pointers if this set-up will actually give a noticeable difference to the handling of my car.. I've put my current spec and then the spec I've been considering below that. I'd appreciate knowing if I've got it right/wrong or if there is a better option to consider.

I already have the following fitted, not much granted, but it handles nicely at the moment:

Standard STi Struts
Tein S-Tech Springs (F-35mm R-25mm)
18" Rota Alloys with 225/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 XL

I have been told to fit the following as a package to suit my needs:

Whiteline 22mm Front Adjustable ARB
Whiteline 24mm Rear Adjustable ARB
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
Standard Front and Rear Droplinks as they are already solid on the 2006-on STi
Proper Geometry Setup

Cheers,
Grant
Old 31 May 2007, 05:42 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Dynamix, what would more Caster do to the handling of the car??
My understanding of it is:

Caster is similar to Negative Camber but is dynamic and only comes into force when the steering is turned. Caster angle will put negative camber on the outside (load bearing) wheel when cornering and increase the available grip in much the same way as static neg camber will. By using Caster to do this though it makes it more stable in a straight line and wears the tyres less.

Some tech articles:

Whiteline Automotive - performance handling and suspension products. car spring coil shock damper swaybar sway bar anti-sway bush bushes australia australian whiteline automotive performance road holding turn-in camber caster toe in vehicle hot 4 v8
Old 31 May 2007, 06:18 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

plus it does make the car understeer less and steer more responsively ( laymans terms of what Dynamix has just said!)
Old 31 May 2007, 06:20 PM
SKS
Scooby Regular

Grant,

The Whiteline ALK helps with this very issue. Although everyone and his dug calls it anti-lift ('cause it moves the suspension pick up point further forward so cutting down the Impreza's tendency to point it's nose up under hard acceleration) it's a positive castor kit. IIRC it adds +0.5 degrees of static castor to the car and from personal experience, makes a heck of difference to turn in and front end sure-footedness. Never really though it was worth doing until I did it - now an ALK convert!
Also, something to check out: although your d/links are solid, do they still use the blobeye style ball joint mountings? If so, worth changing to Whiteline solids - will hook up the ARB far better than the OE links. The ball joints wear out and can create a lot of unhelpful movement in the system.
Would also give my £0.02 worth about the front ARB and say leave it standard initially and see if the rear bar and other mods gives you a neutral handling balance. Putting a heavier front bar on negates the effect of the uprated rear bar - effectively dialing in more understeer. Think you'd do better (and maybees save a few ££s) trying the rear ARB at different positions first.
Hope this helps fella.

Cheers,

Stewart.
Old 17 June 2007, 06:31 PM
TaySTi
Scooby Regular

What's the consensus on the Whiteline ALK for a 2005 STi? Thanks to Scoobynet advice I've fitted Prodrive springs, Whiteline rear 22mm ARB at middle setting & solid drop-links, and front & rear strutbraces... and my car handles all the better for it. So, ALK or not?
Old 17 June 2007, 08:18 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I reckon a proper geom set up and you would have the static caster anyway or get adjustable top mounts and the job would be done via these but with control of the camber aswell.

Depends what you want though, I wouldnt do it for the road, its a waste.

If you take your car on track then go for it