Notices

Would it be ok.........

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2007, 10:49 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would it be ok.........

For me to change my springs without changeing the shocks?

Basically, I have just aquired a 93 WRX import. I was told (and the previous owner was led to believe) that the car had uprated suspension! When I had the car mot'd I found out that the springs were not uprated but just bloody cut down Now with all the thing that have gone wrong lately (not all car related) I am skint!
So I wondered if this would be advisable, or whether I should really buy a complete kit? Bearing in mind what I said, I am really skint for a little while

Thank you in advance
Old 08 April 2007, 11:23 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

can`t see why you couldn`t just get springs, I`ve done them on previous cars without replacing the shocks. If you try aa breakers yard you should be able to get a set of the standard springs for very little outlay
Old 09 April 2007, 08:20 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I was preferably looking for some lowering springs though

Thank you for the reply
Old 09 April 2007, 08:36 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

There's no reason at all why you can't just change the springs, whether they be standard ones or lowered ones.
Despite what some on here would have you believe, a subaru is just another jap built saloon car

If however you get your struts apart and find they feel more like bike pumps than dampers, then you do need to replace them.
But even then, if you are sticking with standard dampers, you don't necessarily need to buy a set of 4, if only a front one has gone, just by a pair of fronts, ditto for the rear.
Old 09 April 2007, 08:40 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Another option you might want to consider, later Imprezas came with stiffer prings and better damping as standard, I paid £140 (back in 2003) for a set of four S/H barely used MY00 legs for my 93 Legacy, and they gave a marked improvment. The ride was noticeably firmer, but at the same time it was no where near as harsh
Old 09 April 2007, 09:07 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

It's a question of mass dynamics. The damping rate should be matched to the spring rate so that the car has predictable handling during cornering and braking. Shorter springs usually indicates a higher spring rate because otherwise you would bottom out your suspension more readily which would be pretty undesirable, e.g. when cornering hard! Insufficient damping would mean there would be increased rebound when hitting bumps. This could be enough to cause loss of traction, especially in the wet. It's a question of degrees really, if you were fitting 50% stiffer springs for instance, you should undoubtedly fit uprated dampers to go with them. If the springs are say only 5 or 10% stiffer then you may get away with standard dampers. So pick the springs you want and then do your research to make sure what dampers are needed to accompany that spring rate. If you can't afford the whole package now, save up for it.
Old 09 April 2007, 09:59 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the comments and hints/tips
This is very helpfull and very much appreciated

Trending Topics

Old 10 April 2007, 05:02 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if later Subaru springs (eg 2004 cars) would fit a 93 classic?