Notices

knocking shocks#

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2007, 07:45 PM
cfc2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking shocks#

had my 333 sti for 2 years now before i bought the car the original owner had the shocks changed under warranty as it seems most 03 sti's have done.
Had prodive springs put in about 4 mnths ago now noticed a knocking sound coming from the rears when crawling at very slow speeds. Got the springs fitted at a dealer can i take it backto get them replaced and is it worth replacing the shocks with standards again

any ideas
Old 09 March 2007, 12:24 AM
scottish_jim
Scooby Regular

Been throught his recently. Do you also feel like the car is sitting down when you stop?
The knocking you're getting at slow speeds is your rear dampers. There is a know fault in the design, though I don't think many are admitting it.
I had mine replaced under warranty and that cured the problem. The car was running on the Prodrive/Eibach lowered springs. Unfortunately the new dampers didn't last longer than 6 months. Subaru refused to replace them.

I have now got Tein coil-overs on the car. Quite pleased with them and all knocking noises have gone.

The rear dampers are not cheap so I opted for the coil-overs rather than spend on subaru dampers that I had no confidence in that they would last. Waste of money.

If your car is still in warranty then you should get them replaced. If out of warranty then ask anyway you might get lucky.

Good luck

Jim

[52 plate STi7 PPP]
Old 09 March 2007, 08:48 AM
BeeSTi
Scooby Regular

Location: Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out

Cfc2 If you need replacing with no warranty Scoobyclinic have a fix for the stock items at £100 each.

Darren
Old 09 March 2007, 12:37 PM
cfc2
Scooby Regular

whats the fix? I'm curious
Old 09 March 2007, 01:05 PM
scottish_jim
Scooby Regular

Shame they didn't have the fix in January when they wanted £860 for coil-overs.
Old 09 March 2007, 09:56 PM
BeeSTi
Scooby Regular

Location: Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out

Originally Posted by cfc2
whats the fix? I'm curious
replacement shock with some new top bit I think, try a search wasn't long ago they posted.
Old 09 March 2007, 10:28 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I had it on mine. Sorted by getting AST's fitted
Old 09 March 2007, 10:29 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
I had it on mine. Sorted by getting AST's fitted
know the feeling
Old 11 March 2007, 06:44 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to have the rear shocks replaced on my 55 plate WRX for this fault. Dealer told me it was a known fault with most STI's needing the shocks replaced and a large % of the WRX's. Really is poor when a company with so much rally experience cant fit a shock as standard which will last more than 10000 miles. My car had 10200 miles on it when they went -
Old 13 March 2007, 04:00 PM
JDSWORD
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem. I'm having a Buudyclub system fitted next week Will I be able to drive around on the knocking dampers
Old 13 March 2007, 07:24 PM
daz4065
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scottish_jim
Been throught his recently. Do you also feel like the car is sitting down when you stop?
The knocking you're getting at slow speeds is your rear dampers. There is a know fault in the design, though I don't think many are admitting it.
I had mine replaced under warranty and that cured the problem. The car was running on the Prodrive/Eibach lowered springs. Unfortunately the new dampers didn't last longer than 6 months. Subaru refused to replace them.

I have now got Tein coil-overs on the car. Quite pleased with them and all knocking noises have gone.

The rear dampers are not cheap so I opted for the coil-overs rather than spend on subaru dampers that I had no confidence in that they would last. Waste of money.

If your car is still in warranty then you should get them replaced. If out of warranty then ask anyway you might get lucky.

Good luck

Jim

[52 plate STi7 PPP]
Hi mate, how much were you quoted for the subaru rear shocks? and how much were your coil overs?

cheers
Old 14 March 2007, 03:52 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

hi all i have an 03sti which i had the shocks done 6 months ago,once done all was great for 3 months then was knocking again on inspection over Christmas i found that on the back seat there is 2 hooks on the seat and on the car which wasn't hooked in properly and was making the same rattle if you hook them in they can still rattle abit so i stuck some foam around the hook then hooked it back in i found to hook it up properly you have to get your arm down the back pretty awkward its been 3 months and no knocking i know there is an issue with the shocks but its cost nothing to have a look it does make the same noise just bang the top corners of your seat you will soon tell worked for me hope it does the same for someone else i think when you have the shocks done cos its abit awkward to replace the seat thats why so may people report knocking after a few months hope this helps