Notices

How to adjust 3 way AST Competition Coilovers.

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2007, 04:47 PM
tharoka
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust 3 way AST Competition Coilovers.

Hi all!

I'm doing this consult for a friend of mine.

He just recived a brand new set of AST 3 way Competition coilovers for his MY06 STi. The kit came without any docs.

We are just ending the instalation of the coliovers.

What starting points are recomended to part from (ride height f/r, geometry settings, compresion, rebound, slow rebound settings,...)?

Please note that the car is a daily driver but it is also used in track days with slicks.

The springs came laveled with something like 200-90-64 (f) and 200-60-64(r), does this mean that they are 9kg front and 6kg rear?

Where can we find info about how to fine tune the suspension?

Any advice is much apreciated!
Old 24 February 2007, 05:17 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have spent a year going through this lot for a road Sti V3 that is a serious hill climb competition car too.

Power Station are the experts in England, and you could do far worse than call them and discuss it with Curtis the AST man there.
Curtis has set my car 's geometry but I had to set the 3 adjustments to my liking/application.

The tyres I use are Kumho V700 soft, a moulded slick, but I'm on soft slicks for this year.

If you wish I can pm you my AST settings and spring rates as a starting point for you?

Graham
Old 24 February 2007, 07:33 PM
tharoka
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Graham, I was specting your answer (and I hope Power Station takes part also).

We have been taking our first impressions on them, and the first problem appeared... The suspension makes A LOT of clunking sounds, front and rear, at low speeds mainly... It is like the springs are not setted up, and where cointinously 'dancing' and this produces crunching and clunking. It appears that the body of the car also moves. It is very clear, for example, when going down the floors of a parking.

Regarding calling PS, if I could speak as well as I write, I would call but I'm not shure if I can mantain a technical conversation by phone.

I also apreciate you offering, please send your settings and thoughts to the email of the owner of the car and we will check them together. (turbo20vgti@hotmail.com)

Once this is solved we will go trough the settings adventure.

Thank you very much!
Old 24 February 2007, 10:25 PM
Scooby Regular

OK. I'll do all the numbers of clicks tomorrow morning and post to that email address.
Are your AST's the ones with an adjuster in the bottom of the strut and remote reservoirs tubed to the tops like my photos?

My AST's are super quiet except for the occasional 'clunck' from one of the rears at very low speed and over a sharp rise. You getting so many noises seems wrong to me. Are your springs AST ones, and do you have the tension springs too?

I can 'link' you to Curtis I'm sure.
He will reply to emails sent to Powerstation.

Old 25 February 2007, 07:39 AM
Scooby Regular

Details sent to above address.
Graham.