Notices

Was going to get Prodrive springs meanwhile I think shock has gone!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2007, 02:38 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Was going to get Prodrive springs meanwhile I think shock has gone!!

Guys,

There is plenty of great advice in here but the most of it is beyond me. Drop Links, ALK's etc.

I realise that most of you have probably just switched off but for those who r left please help...

I was just about to order Prodrive springs for my 2002 STI in order to achieve more comfort at low speed but also gaining the benefit of lowering (looks and handling).

However in the meantime I have developed a knocking in my rear nearside suspension (the STI that is not me personally). I'm hoping it's the bushings or something cheap that can be done while the PD springs are being fitted however knowing my luck (& I'm Irish!), and from what I've read on here, there's a good chance it could be the shocks.

So the question is - If it is the shocks - Do I just get Sub STI shocks replaced in both rears and go ahead with the PD springs as planned or...Do i re-evaluate and consider a whole new suspension unit (my name for springs and shocks) from Prodrive / einstein etc etc??

Keeping in mind that I (that's code for wife and kids) already think the ride is harsh enough and I am not trying to make it handle better on a track.

I'm also in N. Ireland so can't make it to Powerstation etc easily.

Please give me some simple advice on what you would do before I just leave it into my local Sub dealer and fluff it up/ miss some opportunity / cost myself too much with no benefit etc etc

Stew
Old 13 February 2007, 06:19 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand if the shock is gone it could be cheaper to replace the suspension with coilovers, something like Tein basic's than buy Prodrive springs and two new STI shocks, Which may go the same way with time.
Old 13 February 2007, 07:23 PM
stevo_nwuk
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the usual Scooby rear shocks failure. Mine went on my STI 8 after 30k. I think original pair of rears work out about £550. But will fail again as there is a design fault with them. Prob better to get aftermarket which are re-buildable. Depends on your budget really.
Old 13 February 2007, 09:37 PM
daz4065
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem with my 2002 Sti type Uk. I am also in Northern Ireland and need to find a cheap way of fixing the rear knock.

just sweet talked the wife into getting rid of her mini cooper s convertible and now she aint happy with the rear knock in the scoob.

If you are up for buying a set of rear shocks we could maybe negotiate a reduction for two sets????

Just a thought.
Old 13 February 2007, 09:51 PM
colinversion8
Scooby Regular

my 2003 sti has had a couple of sets of shocks fitted in the rear now(under warrenty)the guy said its the only thing that really gives any bother,i just though i would give u some advice as im from northern ireland as well,i have had very bad experiences with my subaru dealer,it took them along time and many visits to sort out simple stuff,i would advise u too give the guys at ECC in lisburn a ring and ask for there opinion,i was just there this evenin and i must say they are a very helpfull group of people
Old 14 February 2007, 11:04 AM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice folks.

This motor has 36K on it and I picked it up in December - starts knocking 2 months later - typical.

Daz 4065 I'm willing to try anything to get the cost down so I'm all ears about trying to get some discount for 2 sets...

however...I hear what the other guys are saying about the fact they're going to fail again because of this design fault that has been mentioned on here before so it may be better to change them out for an after market set of coilovers. Think all the options need priced out. The only thing that concerns me about an change to aftermarket is I don't want the ride to be any stiffer - It's tight enough for me right now! Also slightly concerned that if i did the whole rear and don't do the front the motor might not feel right?? Maybe even handle badly??

Colinversion8 I'm real interested to find out the dealer you weren't happy with and I take it ECC in Lisburn is Desmond Eastwood motors near Lissue Industrial Est?? Have heard their expensive - mind you that was from another dealer! Maybe you could pm me the name if you don't want to post it here?

I have read on here somewhere about a guy that kicked up a stink with Subaru about the design problem with the shocks and they ended up paying for half the cost! This might also be worth a try if several of us were to approach them together??

BTW the knock in mine is only when rounding corners when the weight comes off the nearside. The ride or handleing does not seem to be effected at this stage though it is getting progressively louder. R U guys experiencing the same symptoms?
Old 14 February 2007, 12:06 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i had the same probs as well - in the end went for the T25 AST set-up to get rid of it
Old 15 February 2007, 02:45 PM
daz4065
Scooby Regular

Geds, I think ECC is east coast customs in lisburn.

I also bet you heard that Des Eastwood motors was expensive from Donnellys. I bought my first sti from Eastwoods and i have never had a more pleasant and up front buying experience. Those other boys in boucher were a different kettle of fish to deal with.

Sorry about the rant. Anyway, my scoob has the knocking which is quite loud and the car seems to settle a little when just about to stop. Handling is otherwise not affected.

My 03 STI had the rear suspension go as well, but they were replaced under warranty and the car handled sweet. As long as they are replaced in pairs there should be no adverse handling

I think we might be able to seek advice about aftermarket shocks, because like you i don't fancy putting new ones in again after 30k. Give us a shout if you want to approach anybody. I know the area well cos I am from lisburn so i might be able to get some info.

Last edited by daz4065; 15 February 2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 16 February 2007, 07:29 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Definately sounds like your shocks, just had to have mine replaced on my 55 WRX 11K miles, how hard can it be to produce a shock that lasts, every other manufacturer manages it.
Old 16 February 2007, 08:27 AM
Geds
Scooby Regular

I'm going to get this thing on a ramp thisavo and confirm its the shock (though I'm 90% sure already), I'm sending a letter to Subaru today to ask for their opinion (for what its worth) I'm sure I read on here somewhere about them paying 50% of some1's replacement costs outside of warranty.

daz, I had my clutch replaced under warranty at Des Eastwoods and found them to be great, I was sent there by Beechlawn Motors of Ladis Drive who have been providing excellent service to me for the past 3-4 years. Never had any experience of Donnelly's - If their paying rent on Boucher Road then I'd stay away.

Colin Did ECC give you a quote or any advice?

I'm going to price the Subaru replacement and some aftermarket options mentioned here like
Teins Basics
T25 AST

and take it from there...
I'll try to rem to pm you guys anything that seems like a good option.
Old 16 February 2007, 02:14 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Geds;6663541]I'm going to get this thing on a ramp thisavo and confirm its the shock (though I'm 90% sure already), I'm sending a letter to Subaru today to ask for their opinion (for what its worth) I'm sure I read on here somewhere about them paying 50% of some1's replacement costs outside of warranty.

You will probably be able to tell if its the shock by opening the boot, and pushing down on boot to compress shock ie bounce each side, you will probably hear the shock clunk, if you put your hand on top of the wheel while someone is doing this you will feel the vibration from the restriction in the shock. When I had mine done dealer told me WRX were not as bad for this as the STI with most STI shocks needing replaced.
Old 16 February 2007, 05:37 PM
daz4065
Scooby Regular

Putting it up on ramps will probably not give much away. When my last sti had this problem the guy at Eastwoods said the strut comes in a sealed unit and it was near impossible to tell from looking at the suspension.

Forgot to mention that earlier.
Old 17 February 2007, 09:07 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

when my OE struts were on you could only tell they were f**ked by driving the car