Notices

bump stops or rolled arches?

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2006, 08:50 PM
Lord Bass
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bump stops or rolled arches?

my rear wheels are rubbing the rear arches as i have eibach springs fitted on a 2002 bugeye wrx wagon. which is better option for price/performance?
Old 27 December 2006, 10:27 AM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Have you only fitted springs or do you have different wheels than standard? The reason I ask is that all manufactures allow clearance for full suspension travel with standard wheels without contacting the body work.

Fitting bump stops to prevent this isn’t good. They are designed to stop your suspension fully compressing and causing metal to metal contact between suspension parts. This means that to stop the rubbing you may have to fit several bump stops to prevent the shocker compression to the point at which it contacts the bodywork. From there the only suspension you will have is how much you can compress the bump stops, it would be like solid rubber tyres on a bicycle.

I don’t know anything about rolling the arches but if all your suspension is OK then this should provide extra side clearance for the wheel.
Thanks,
Paul.
Old 27 December 2006, 08:58 PM
Lord Bass
Scooby Regular

i've got 18" pff7 wheels with 225 40 r18 tyres they are only rubbing since changing the shocks i dont think the new shocks came with any bump stops do std WRX shocks have bump stops?

Last edited by Lord Bass; 27 December 2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 27 December 2006, 10:21 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Have you changed struts or springs or both?

Eibach spring only give a small drop in ride height but are uprated so they shouldn't allow as much movement as standard springs. If your originals springs didn't rub over big bumps than the Eibachs shouldn't rub either. If you've fitted new struts as well then that should make it harder again to push the wheel into your arches.

Bump stops are the rubber thing that are fitted around the rod of the strut so you normally take of the ones off the original struts and fit them to the new ones.

Thanks,
Paul.
Old 27 December 2006, 10:26 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Got the same wheels on my classic an i trimmed rear arches resealed/painted etc, if theyre the right tyres (cant say coz i aint too up on bugeyes)i`d get arches rolled, i run 215/35x18`s though on mine but the cars lowered 40mm
Old 27 December 2006, 10:50 PM
Lord Bass
Scooby Regular

i had eibach springs on std shockes for 2 months but only after replacing the shocks with new KYB ones did they start to rub i dunno if the original bump stops were fitted to the new shock as i didn't fit them. I'm gonna have a look at weekend so i'll find out if the bump stops are there or not thanks for the help guys

Last edited by Lord Bass; 27 December 2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 28 December 2006, 12:01 AM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

sorry to hyjack but how much does rolling the arch's cost?

Trending Topics

Old 28 December 2006, 07:51 AM
Lord Bass
Scooby Regular

i've been quoted £30 an arch but depends where u go i think. That was from a place in bradford
Old 28 December 2006, 09:57 AM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lord Bass
i had eibach springs on std shockes for 2 months but only after replacing the shocks with new KYB ones did they start to rub i dunno if the original bump stops were fitted to the new shock as i didn't fit them. I'm gonna have a look at weekend so i'll find out if the bump stops are there or not thanks for the help guys
I would check you've got the correct struts for your car as it sounds like they've altered your suspension geometry. I know on the Renault 5 turbo that the phase 1 and 2 cars had a different top mounts so if you fitted a phase 2 strut on a phase 1 car it gave you massive negative chamber. It could only be a small change in your case, but it doesn't take much to touch. Have you still got the original struts to compare with the new ones?
Thanks,
Paul.
Old 28 December 2006, 11:58 AM
shepster
Scooby Regular

Hi i have a 04 wagon with PFF7 wheels and Eibach springs. They only rub under extreme cornering or when carrying big rear passengers. I have been told this is due to the fact wagons have a smaller rear track so not as much clearance in the arches.

Solution = Remove rubber trim around arch and if still catches get them rolled.

James
Old 28 December 2006, 02:35 PM
Lord Bass
Scooby Regular

as u can prob tell from my name i have a big ice install the car car is loaded all the time. like i said earlier i check a weekend and have a think. does anyone know what diameter the rod is on kyb shock? just so i know what size bump stops i need to get.

Last edited by Lord Bass; 28 December 2006 at 10:28 PM.