Notices

Leda suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2006, 08:37 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leda suspension

Currently considering coilover suspension for 97 WRX that will be seam welded and have a multipoint rollcage installed. car will only be used for hillclimbs and fast blasts along mountain roads in Cyprus. Some are really smooth and just magic and others are quite bumpy, although I make sure I avoid these.

Currently running full Whiteline kit including springs and dampers, and have considered AST, EXETC, Reiger, Ohlins and Moton. Have spoken to all these companies and in the end was going to order one of these brands. Major consideration is whether they can be rebuilt locally or at least in the general area as freight from Cyprus is horrendous. This is a problem for all these companies and ultimately have been recommended Leda as they have a distributor in Cyprus and can be rebuilt in Greece.

Found various old posts about Leda but have seen nothing recent. Anyone had recent experience with Leda,suspension rates etc? The front runner in our hillclimb series runs these but unfortunately very tight lipped about them.
Old 11 December 2006, 09:56 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to run Leda on PTMW - standard "road" springs as per Scoobysport at the time. I found them to be excellent & did over 70K miles on them. During that time I replaced the rear springs and had them all rebuilt after about 60K miles.

They were not jarring as some aftermarket ones are & unlike any other spring combo on pot-holed Irish bog roads providing excellent ride and grip. Although it was obvious it was a firm ride, it was not enough to upset the wife (as she didnt know they were on) yet when it came to track time, it was dial-up and go

I couldn't fault them & its nice to be able to have them rebuilt easily (they are only 30 miles from me).
Old 12 December 2006, 01:30 PM
BeverleyJM
Scooby Regular

We used to sell alot of kits via Scoobysport, but it dropped aff after they closed down. We are still going though, stronger than ever!
And yes, we have a distributor in Cyprus (CN Motorchic) and Terras Sport in Greece is an official service centre.

Beverley@Leda.

Thanks for the thumbs up Puff
Old 12 December 2006, 02:11 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

I run LEDA Bs with progressive tender springs (combination of linear and progressive springs) and they have done me well. Ideally suited to hillclimbs and sprints if you ask me - the progressive spring rates will help with traction on the tighter corners
Old 13 December 2006, 08:22 AM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron

Thanks for the info. Have got in touch with local distributor and am discussing requirements. 60k miles before rebuild sounds more than enough, considering car has only done 110000 klms in 9 years.
Old 18 December 2006, 12:55 PM
jonno
Scooby Regular

Ive got a set of Leda Bs, these that were on my STi 7, after having a set of Billies, the Ledas were a totally different ball game (not much choice of coilovers back in the days of scoobysport.

Lots of discussion over the pros and cons on the Ledas before I bit the bullet, IMO its a great product that works well.
Having the back up of getting them serviced locally (ish) if required goes along way.

Jonno
Old 19 December 2006, 02:03 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Mine rattled and then one of the struts broke. When I asked a race technitian to look at the rattle, he said the suspension looked old (corroded after 6 months use and no road use) and was not even designed to fit my car

I'm not impressed with the product, but I've always been impressed with their customer service.

Anyway, I sold the Leda and bought Koni.

Trending Topics

Old 31 December 2006, 11:13 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

my 99 classic has leda coilovers and i would recommend them to anyone, best aftermarket suspension ive ever had, not crashy like some, really smooth ride and no body roll.
Old 31 December 2006, 12:37 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the positive and negative replies. It seems from asking around that in the last two to three years they have really improved to be a highly regarded product. Whether better or not than other brands will never be known unless I test all of them on the car. Major selling point for me is that there is a distributor in Cyprus who speaks English and they can be repaired in Greece.

Have never had or required a coilover setup on any vehicle that I have owned (mainly Aussie V8s) and my current Whiteline setup has served me well for past five years on the Impreza.

Have spoken to the Leda distributor in Cyprus and he will also end up fitting a WRC spec Toora rollcage as well! Will then see how the car feels with the cage and welding and decide on what spec suspension. Seems to think that the single adjustable would do the job without complicating things as there are only five hillclimbs a year, testing time is very limited and the more adjustability the harder we may find it to get it right.
Old 03 January 2007, 10:48 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Big thumbs up from me. Replaced a leaking rear OE strut with a full set of Leda's.

Customer service couldn't be bettered IMHO. Went out of their way to accommodate me, answered all my questions & came up with an excellent price fitted & aligned. Added bonus they are within walking distance when I left my car with them.

I was running OE struts with Prodrive Eibachs, Noltec solid drop links front & rear & a Whiteline 22mm adj ARB with HD mounts. For everyday road use they are fine on 6/24 clicks & easy to wind up when you want to play. Front springs are 300lb & rears are 225lb & are nicely balanced & the ride height is similar to as before on the Eibachs.

Thanks to Bev & her team @ Leda.

Mark
Old 05 January 2007, 01:14 PM
BeverleyJM
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mark

Happy New Year too
Old 06 January 2007, 05:43 PM
j-k
Scooby Regular

As Mark has already said,..... fantastic customer service and a quality product.

Two "2nd in class" trophies last year...so something must be good??

jon
Old 07 January 2007, 08:49 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting to see hillclimbing in here of course!

One of our frontrunners runs a Cossie with Leda, one way adjustable to good effect.

There is a lot to simplicity and I have found the 3 way AST harder to get right for hillclimbs than the comparable one way AST.
I think this goes for ALL suspension systems, they are all good if you can sort them out.
It took me 2 months as a novice to sort the 3 ways.

I think in your position so far away i would go for the Service persuation too!

Graham
Old 07 January 2007, 04:41 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I've had Leda on my two old classics, had them rebuilt and as has already been said the customer service is fantastic. In these days when customer service means speaking to an indian call centre with 'Sean', 'David' or "Gareth' and getting no sense what so ever this comes as such a huge bonus .

On the low settings i found the setup to be much more compliant that standard WRX suspension and the Sti suspension i had previous to the Ledas. They did rattle a bit when cold but i'd not sure how much of that was down to my fitting skills They transformed the handling tho, brilliant product imho.

Tony.