Notices

SUSPENSION KNOCKING SOUND ON STI8

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2006, 07:54 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SUSPENSION KNOCKING SOUND ON STI8

STi8 with Prodrive springs, 18" PFF7's and front and rear strut braces, TSL fast road geometry set up.

About 6 months ago, the n/s rear strut started to knock so it was replaced under warranty.

About 3 months ago, the o/s rear strut started to knock so it was replaced under warranty. Almost immediately, I noticed a similair knocking sound from the n/s however I cannot be sure if it is the front or rear.

I read something about the front ones becoming loose on here. Any suggestions?

The car is going in for it's service next week and I have told them I do not want the car back until it is fully sorted as I am getting p1ssed off taking the car up and down to the garage.
Old 07 November 2006, 08:20 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

My STi7 knocks over pot holes since having prodrive springs fitted two years ago. I too have had shocks (and bearings) replaced, but still it knocks. Having used two dealers, they still can't find a fault, so I now live with it.

I believe it is the effect of the springs being firmer on the chassis. The noise has not got any worse (nor any better). I was running standard 17" until recently and have run using Prodrive fast road set up. Like you say, effin annoying, though doesn't appear to be detrimental. Mine only knocks on the rear passenger side. Easily solved by a head unit upgrade !!!!
Old 08 November 2006, 12:51 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Woody1
My STi7 knocks over pot holes since having prodrive springs fitted two years ago. I too have had shocks (and bearings) replaced, but still it knocks. Having used two dealers, they still can't find a fault, so I now live with it.

I believe it is the effect of the springs being firmer on the chassis. The noise has not got any worse (nor any better). I was running standard 17" until recently and have run using Prodrive fast road set up. Like you say, effin annoying, though doesn't appear to be detrimental. Mine only knocks on the rear passenger side. Easily solved by a head unit upgrade !!!!
Cheers mate!! Any STI8 owners?
Old 08 November 2006, 01:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

warrenty issue mate, tis a know problem with the shocks and only fix suabru do is to keep replacing them, do all round if needs be.

only other option is to replace with aftermarket shocks
Old 08 November 2006, 01:01 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Had my fronts replaced under warranty on my MY05 STI.

Prodrive spring kit & PFF7 Alloys.
Old 09 May 2007, 12:09 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
warrenty issue mate, tis a know problem with the shocks and only fix suabru do is to keep replacing them, do all round if needs be.

only other option is to replace with aftermarket shocks
Woops bit of a late reply but aftermarket shocks (by a lot of accounts) have the same issue. I do on my Tein! It appears to be a fundamental Subaru design flaw that if you get it will probably reoccur in the future. Note Ive changed my strut under warranty more than once then thought I'd go aftermarket and still get it and I hear of some people that get it on other makes so I've learned to live with it as the dealers themselves say they don't see any deterimental effects 'so far' on it.
Old 09 May 2007, 12:26 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reano
Woops bit of a late reply but aftermarket shocks (by a lot of accounts) have the same issue. I do on my Tein! It appears to be a fundamental Subaru design flaw that if you get it will probably reoccur in the future. Note Ive changed my strut under warranty more than once then thought I'd go aftermarket and still get it and I hear of some people that get it on other makes so I've learned to live with it as the dealers themselves say they don't see any deterimental effects 'so far' on it.

find it very strange indeed your getting the same problem with other shocks considering its a fault specific to the shock.

they can eventually start to leak fluid so would get them sorted as and when needed.

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2007, 12:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

find it very strange indeed your getting the same problem with other shocks considering its a fault specific to the shock.

they can eventually start to leak fluid so would get them sorted as and when needed.

on a further note (done abit of digging) teins nock anyway (thats come from tein when asked) and isn't a damage issue, where as the sti shocks is actually caused by damage to a part inside the shock.

there is a fix out there now as well (shall dig up the thread )
Old 09 May 2007, 12:54 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Could someone with a phone or mic or something make an MP3 of the suspension knocking. I have a bugeye with STi suspension on and have a slight knock - sometimes and low speed. It may be the exhaust catching the diff, the shocks or something else.

I intended to mount a webcam under the car, stick my laptop in and record a slow drive over the speedbumps to see if I can tell what the hell it is (or shove the misses in the boot to listen lol)
Old 09 May 2007, 12:55 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

if you drive slow and you hear it its the shocks mate, if it were the exhaust it would only get louder the faster you go,m plus you'd be able to see where it catches on the exhaust
Old 09 May 2007, 01:16 PM
loafofbrett
Scooby Regular

I had both rear struts replaced about a month ago on my STI8 with aftermarket ones.

It was sorted for a few weeks, but the knock has returned, so it's booked back in again!
Old 09 May 2007, 01:32 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by loafofbrett
I had both rear struts replaced about a month ago on my STI8 with aftermarket ones.

It was sorted for a few weeks, but the knock has returned, so it's booked back in again!
Which aftermarket ones? Ive even seen on here people with AST's that knock, etc so surely this can't just be the shocks. I'm still searching for the thread that said it was the way the Subaru had designed the way the suspension (poor design). I'll try and find.

So can someone explain exactly what this knocking is? As I know if you get the shocks changed it eventually comes back.
Old 10 May 2007, 06:06 PM
MatthewH
Scooby Regular

had rear passenger shock changed last week due to a knocking noise. drove it straight from my house to the airport and back to my house yesterday. 99% motorway.

went into local town today over a speed bump and "knock"

it sounds like a lost socket in the back. took all seats out of back and nothing. Its going back in monday
Old 10 May 2007, 06:36 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

I have a knock on mine, but I can't seem to pinpoint it. I've tightened up everything underneath the car and checked all the bushes for signs of wear but all seems ok. I took a trip round the car park the other day in the boot of the car whilst my mate drove and I could hear the knock low down inside the wheel arch but when I looked under the car there are no signs of anything. What is actually knocking?? If it is a poor design of the suspension and new shocks are fitted and the knock is still there then surely the knock is from a suspension component and not the shocks? If it is the shock it's self, what part of the shock is actually failing?
Old 10 May 2007, 07:57 PM
jupiter
Scooby Newbie

Dear Mate,

If the noise is small rattle when going over bumps at low speed, then it is a mystery that the science has not answered yet. i have heard many people complaining about this with too many shock makes. I have personally experienced of that with top quality shocks three way adjustables.
The problem seems to happen in upside down shocks. One prposed remedy ( for a while and not permanent) is lubrication of the shock ( more specifically the guidance of the strut outer body where the shock works ).

Search the forum with pattern 'Suspension rattle' and you will be susprised.

Good Luck and keep in touch.
Old 16 May 2007, 12:08 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

It's not totally the shocks fault, althought the sound tends to come from the shock/topmount.
The rear suspension design and travel puts a side loading on the rear shocks, this wears out the shock shaft bushes (DU bushes I think subaru call them) and the top mounts. The subaru fix was to beef up these bushes and top mounts, but fundamentally the side loadings will wear out the rear struts.
lots on here have changed to AST struts, and hey presto the struts start knocking after a while.
Not alot you can do about it.

Dipster