Notices

chassis foaming or structural foam

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2006, 11:12 AM
poormansporsche
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chassis foaming or structural foam

So one of the weak points on the GC chassis is it's lack of strength. The newer GD chassis is up to 148% stronger due to it's reinforced/caged chassis which also makes it much heavier. Off the floor they feel less vague in the bends. I hope to be able to match their strength in my car with welding braces in key areas and hopefully thru chassis foaming. Is anyone done this?

A company called FoamSeal here in the states makes structural foam that will strengthen the chassis from 40% up to 300% stronger. Supposedly this process will also make the car much quieter. You perform it by purchasing the kit from a FoamSeal dealer and just inject the chassis rails with the foam. Allow it to harden and volia! Much better than bracing and probably about the same price as a front strut tower brace. Some people swear by it but I have yet to see anyone do this in an Impreza. I hear this is how Nissan and Infinity are doing it these days. It seems to good to be true. Anyone else ever hear of this?!?!?

cheers

garrett
Old 10 September 2006, 02:55 PM
jgevers
Scooby Regular

I have been injecting foam into hollow areas including subframes in competetion cars for 15-20 years now. Yes, it makes a measurable difference.

Just watch that you don't spray too much, as cutting of hardened leakeage is a pain. Also, do this after seam welding. Some of the foams are flammable.
Cheers
Old 11 September 2006, 06:59 PM
poormansporsche
Scooby Regular

Is there any concern that the foam will warp the chassis if injected incorrectly? I was planning on putting the car on blocks to square the chassis while injecting the foam. Over kill maybe? My major concern is really just screwing up the chassis. I'm sure the clean up is a PITA but i can handle that. Anything in particular to watch out for?

cheers

garrett