Notices

Wheel Allignment

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2006, 05:43 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Allignment

If you've not had it done get it done !!

Totally transformed my Sti today - Thanks to Powerstation

Should have had it done when I got the car new last October - read all the stories of the factory setting being a little wayward, but thought it was a bit of scaremongering to get us over to Powerstation How wrong was I !!

Up until today when I pushed around islands I tended to understeer, now not a hint of understeer, just a bit of oversteer, enabling a much quicker exit...

Went round a few islands twice to enjoy it again........

Awesome..........just need AST's, remap, Milltek, Filter, Defi's...........
Old 08 September 2006, 09:42 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another one who is doomed..
Get it all done and you will have the Impreza you thought you had bought!
Old 09 September 2006, 12:00 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

That would be the blue one this morning with no camber on the front then.

Told you it would handle better.

How Subaru can make such an excellent chassis and then blow all the hard work out of the water with the alignment it comes out the factory with is shocking!!!

Andy
Old 10 September 2006, 06:46 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SivMY05Sti
If you've not had it done get it done !!

Totally transformed my Sti today - Thanks to Powerstation

Awesome..........just need AST's, remap, Milltek, Filter, Defi's...........
I'm getting the Powerstation Stage 3 treatment on the 18th. Already trying to resist temptation and not think about what other bits could fall into my car whilst I'm there!!
Fighting a loosing battle I think ....
Old 10 September 2006, 09:13 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
That would be the blue one this morning with no camber on the front then.

Told you it would handle better.

How Subaru can make such an excellent chassis and then blow all the hard work out of the water with the alignment it comes out the factory with is shocking!!!

Andy
Yep ! Made me laugh when you adjusted the one wheel, must of moved an inch to the right

The transformation is remarkable......

Neil
Old 10 September 2006, 09:31 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Old 11 September 2006, 01:14 AM
iKarl
Scooby Regular

i'm in glasgow and want to get mine set up but powerstation is way too far away.......
i don't think there's anyone up here......
hopefully someone will correct me?

Last edited by iKarl; 11 September 2006 at 01:17 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 11 September 2006, 02:00 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Print this out and show it to anyone with the right gear. If their eyes glaze over, find somewhere else.

The guy who applied these settings to mine trains the Williams F1 team about chassis alignment
Old 11 September 2006, 11:40 AM
iKarl
Scooby Regular

thanks v much, i've printed it off and i'm gonna go lookin for someone.

can i just ask about your front camber.....it looks different, between 1 and 2, do you know why its different?
Old 11 September 2006, 01:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

When I first met Stuart, the company founder with over 40 years of geometry alignment experience, I showed him the Prodrive settings that I'd copied down off here. He laughed, rolled his eyes and then huffed, "which idiot did these then ?" After a short discussion we agreed that he would do me the best set-up based on his expertise to achieve what I wanted, a car which has awesome turn-in and stability when cornering, even if it does compromise on tyre wear. During the set-up I was confused as to why he needed to know my weight, but he quickly showed me how even a stone or two can push the alignment way out, so my 17st bulk would destroy all his hard work. In the final stages he had me sat in the drivers seat to ensure it was right, also taking into account the average UK road camber. He advised me that I may get some inner shoulder wear on the tyres, but in 13k mile since that had not become evident. He also stated that the wheel may not centre as fast as before.

I have been more than happy with the results since, with no excessive or unusual tyre wear and superb cornering abilities, resulting in near accidents for those following me whom don't realise just how quick I can corner. On a track day, when all others were wearing the outer edge of their tyres to the wire, mine wore evenly across the full width, remaining controllable and predictable all day long (well, until it rained and the NSF was virtually a slick).

HTH.
Old 11 September 2006, 02:06 PM
iKarl
Scooby Regular

that sounds more than good enough for me, i'm the best part of 14st so i think a small adjustment on the o/s may be required (maybe tone it down to 0.25neg??)

i'll try and find somewhere to do the business and keep you posted.
Old 18 September 2006, 09:32 PM
sb272
Scooby Newbie

I bought a 05 WRX on Friday and took it to my local place where I have my other car geo'd and they told me that they couldn't do mine - gave me some story about a sensor on the steering.

I know them really well, and have been using them for years but susepct that they are wrong.

Surely its just a case of adjusting the track rod ends on the steering arms at the front and the toe links at the rear?
Old 19 September 2006, 09:06 AM
Powerstation
Scooby Regular

Location: Rolling Road tuning, RE-mapping, Laser alignment, Track and race prep, Toyo tyres, Alarm installs

There's more to a full geometry than just adjusting toe with the track rods and rear links.
I suspect the garage didn't have the correct tools and were worried about smacking the ABS sensor off.. (that's the only sensor near where you'd be working)

Andy
Old 19 September 2006, 05:05 PM
sb272
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Powerstation
There's more to a full geometry than just adjusting toe with the track rods and rear links.
I suspect the garage didn't have the correct tools and were worried about smacking the ABS sensor off.. (that's the only sensor near where you'd be working)

Andy
I appreciate that there is more to geo than just toe and camber but that's all I trust the local place to adjust on my other car. And this is only going to be a road car (so I keep telling myself).

All I really wanted was a baseline of where the settings currently are.

So, as far you're concerned there is nothing stopping them from putting the car on their Hunter and adjusting the toe? And giving me a printout of the camber and castor?
Old 19 September 2006, 06:46 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Absolutely not sb272.
Toe on the front is indeed done by the track rods... nothing in the way there.
Toe on the rear is done by the inner bolt of the rear arm, also nothing in the way there.
What their machine measures though once it's fully hooked up I couldn't tell you.

Andy (same Andy as above, just at home now. )
Old 20 September 2006, 11:29 PM
sb272
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Absolutely not sb272.
Toe on the front is indeed done by the track rods... nothing in the way there.
Toe on the rear is done by the inner bolt of the rear arm, also nothing in the way there.
What their machine measures though once it's fully hooked up I couldn't tell you.

Andy (same Andy as above, just at home now. )
Thanks for that. I'll take it there soon. It drives ok and a friend with a lot of Scooby experience drove it tonight and like myslef thought it drove well.

We agreed that as an M-way company car hack its not worth running more neg camber, and leaving the toe alone to save tyre wear (I have to pay for the tyres!).

What was interesting was changing the pressures down from the recommended 33.3/29 to 28.5/27 dramatically improved the secondary ride and made the primary ride a little better. What pressures are the real world recommended for a newage WRX?

Geo wise there's not much else to do really is there, other than camber and toe, despite your comment further above

There's no castor to change or ride height, not on a standard car anyway. And someone from Powerstation has told me that the front bumsteer is ok on my age of car (it drives ok). And I wonder if rear bumpsteer can even be altered, not that it felt like there was a problem there either?

Cheers,
Steve.