Notices

simple replacements.

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2006, 10:58 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simple replacements.

hi guys, first post in suspension. my 95 wrx's suspension isnt in the best of condition anymore so was looking at some reasonable upgrades. its quite stiff and i like that feel, but im totally unsure of what to get regarding a decent priced general full suspension package.

ive done a search to no avail.

what would be best to replace? everything or just certain parts, like springs, struts etc...

i really have no idea on suspension lol...

say i had a £500 budge, what could you guys recommend for me. im running on standard 16" speedlines at the mo and would like to upgrade to 18" eventually with a 20-30mm drop so as not to cause rubbing... and keep good handling...

ANY decent suggestions welcome on what to get who to speak too.

much abliged!!

andy

p.s. dont think ive missed anything out have i?
Old 18 August 2006, 05:06 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO:

Get the whole system off an Sti v3 V4/5/6 in good condition (about £300)
Whiteline rear anti roll bar (£100?)
Camber bolts in each corner (£60)

Good alignment job (£100) at Powerstation (or similar quality)

Car will be transformed for a nice comfortable road car.

going track days? Add another £1500 and a lot more parts!

Graham
Old 18 August 2006, 06:22 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> p.s. dont think ive missed anything out have i?

Spelling, punctuation, capital letters? Oh god I'm turning into a grumpy old man.
Old 19 August 2006, 12:03 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
> p.s. dont think ive missed anything out have i?

Spelling, punctuation, capital letters? Oh god I'm turning into a grumpy old man.
do you know pslewis?
Old 19 August 2006, 05:18 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Actually no, he's on my ignore list. Can I add myself to my ignore list?

Hope you get your suspension sorted. I'm sure your local college have evening classes who can sort your english out. OK it's not really important but it does wind me up and obviously lots of other too judging by the other responses. Post like a chav and people will treat you like a chav.
Old 19 August 2006, 05:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Hope you get your suspension sorted. I'm sure your local college have evening classes who can sort your english out. OK it's not really important but it does wind me up and obviously lots of other too judging by the other responses. Post like a chav and people will treat you like a chav.
i would appreciate it if you would offer me advice on what i asked for in the first place, which i did politley. i dont write like a chav just because i dont use capitals. i start to forget what it is i want to type if i mess around too much making it acceptable to people such as yourself. i dont deliberatley mispell words, or use numbers for words, so again if you have no sound advice regarding suspension, please save your time and mine and dont reply.

thanx andy
Old 21 August 2006, 03:06 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Have people like you nothing better to do than abuse people who ask a simple polite request on here with regards to a technical issue.

If he wanted to have his punctuation scrutinized i'm sure he could go on a forum was geared towards this - but he asked some advice on Scooobynet nothing more. FFS leave it out mate

If little things like this wind you up then you really need to get out more.
Old 21 August 2006, 03:39 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

appreciated mr chief, i wondered what i had done wrong. anywho any ideas on how to change an anit-roll-bar on my classic. winning one on fleabay and was going to mybe try iy myself this weekend. ive got a decent socket set and a jack etc. its the nearside that is bent so i wanted to replace it even with just a standards replacement off another wrx.

any tips. is it easier to lift the car up from the side and squeeze my way under???

thanx

andy.
Old 21 August 2006, 04:14 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
appreciated mr chief, i wondered what i had done wrong. anywho any ideas on how to change an anit-roll-bar on my classic. winning one on fleabay and was going to mybe try iy myself this weekend. ive got a decent socket set and a jack etc. its the nearside that is bent so i wanted to replace it even with just a standards replacement off another wrx.

any tips. is it easier to lift the car up from the side and squeeze my way under???

thanx

andy.

Sorry mate i talk a good game but when it comes to doing work me-self i'm a bit thick mate

I would imagine a decent competant mechanic would be able to do this for you for not much.

I think teh main thing if you can get the car off teh ground then you may have half a chance.

Let us know the outcome as i'm considering this myself in the future. i only have lowered springs yet my car still tends to roll a bit too much for my liking.

Good luck.

Carl
Old 21 August 2006, 04:56 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Sorry mate i talk a good game but when it comes to doing work me-self i'm a bit thick mate

I would imagine a decent competant mechanic would be able to do this for you for not much.

I think teh main thing if you can get the car off teh ground then you may have half a chance.

Let us know the outcome as i'm considering this myself in the future. i only have lowered springs yet my car still tends to roll a bit too much for my liking.

Good luck.

Carl
join the club, the understeer on this is stupid... im gonna stiffen up the backend and try for some stiffer sti suspension if i can get the appropriate droplinks anyway. i think if i can get the arb ive just won on fleabay fitted this weekend, its a start.

andy

p.s. pm me to remind me if i forget lol!!
Old 21 August 2006, 06:24 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I've read all this I still suggest my humble advice in #2 above.

If you are careful this is all DIY, but remember it is your **** and others involed perhaps if you screw it all together wrong!

Take care and take your time and fit all the bits at once; take it to a good place for alignment (not a DIY job) or the car will be rubbish.

Hope this helps you.

Graham
Old 21 August 2006, 08:52 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
Now I've read all this I still suggest my humble advice in #2 above.

If you are careful this is all DIY, but remember it is your **** and others involed perhaps if you screw it all together wrong!

Take care and take your time and fit all the bits at once; take it to a good place for alignment (not a DIY job) or the car will be rubbish.

Hope this helps you.

Graham
see your point. im very much an amateur, until the weekend i didnt even own a socket set!! but im looking into learning and will do things carefully, probably only the a.r.b. myself and the rest at a garage.

just wondering however... if i do put a decent second hand sti suspension set on a normal wrx ie springs and struts, do i need to change anything else, and if i were to get decent droplinks too dont many of them fit sti suspension. please correct me if im wrong... again learning this bit by bit

andy