Notices

Newage springs

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2006, 01:04 PM
novarally
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage springs

Can anyone please give me some advice as I have just bought a 53 STI and I was wondering what springs could I put on her to lower it a bit but still after a firm ride
Any advice would be very much appreciated
Old 03 July 2006, 01:16 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

cant go wrong with a set of eibachs....

mine should be up for same v.soon although im not sure if they would fit your car anyway! Theyre on an 03 WRX at the mo...
Old 04 July 2006, 05:28 PM
Woodcote
Scooby Regular

agreed Powerstation fitted Eibachs to my 03 STi and ride is now excellent ...much better than standard springs
Old 04 July 2006, 07:18 PM
novarally
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Woodcote
agreed Powerstation fitted Eibachs to my 03 STi and ride is now excellent ...much better than standard springs
In what way ?
Old 04 July 2006, 09:05 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

less jarring over bumps, smoother ride, more progressive i guess....

either way, so much niver than the WRX springs i had before....so on an STI the effect will be just as good.
Old 08 July 2006, 09:02 AM
budge28
Scooby Regular

Neilo, How much did these lower your wrx? any photos.
You say smoother but i guess they where stiffer (better) around corners.
Old 08 July 2006, 01:31 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Save yourself the money mate and go straight for the AST's from Powerstation. Tried Eibachs then Prodrive springs before finally getting the AST's fitted. They are simply a fantastic bit of kit.

Trending Topics

Old 08 July 2006, 11:16 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
Save yourself the money mate and go straight for the AST's from Powerstation. Tried Eibachs then Prodrive springs before finally getting the AST's fitted. They are simply a fantastic bit of kit.
i would certainly hope that 800~ quids worth of dampers AND springs would be slightly better that springs.....

but not everyone has that kid of cash to throw at things all in one go.

I found the eibachs to be a great compromise and am only removing mine because i need something VERY stiff for track use...

still manage to be quicker than most things round a track with just the eibachs anyway.....

The eibachs soak up bumps a lot better than the standard springs did, and are a little more progressive through the bends to answer an earlier question. They lower the car IIRC 30mm front and 25mm rear, but it sits very nicely. If you search for my username in the members gallery section there should be a few pics of mine side on so you can see.
Old 10 July 2006, 10:27 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Agree completely Neilo. I was merely suggesting an alternative.......... I'm sure he could save to get the set up that he's happy with though

I bought the Eibachs and thought they were poor. Gave them to a friend in the end. Then had the Prodrive springs fitted along with the relevant laser alignment. Once again not impressed for the money. Was a passenger in a WRX with the AST set up and it was only then that I realised how the car should have been handling. Would have shown my sti a clean pair of heels thats for sure! Power upgrades went on hold as a direct result!

Factor in the cost of both the Eibach and Prodrive set up and the outlay easily covers the cost of what I paid for the AST's in the Powerstation groupbuy. False economy for me in the end but obviously just my opinion

Irony was I shyed away from the coilover option for fear they would be too harsh etc. However being 12 way adjustable they are softer than the Prodrive springs (and thats with the AST's set to hard on all corners) Plus it got rid of the troublesome knocking on the rear struts (that I could have had replaced under warranty)

If you are purely looking for a slightly better ride than the oem set up and a lower/meaner stance then I'd agree with Neilo the Eibachs are a cheap comprimise.

Hope you get sorted. Below gives you some idea of the drop on the Prodrive springs btw. Might give you a useful comparison if you can find Neilos on Eibachs? (Graphics removed before anyone starts flaming )

Old 10 July 2006, 10:35 PM
novarally
Scooby Regular

I loved the car with graphics on, and as for AST`s I had them on the Classic yes they were good but now the car is more expensive so less money to throw at it, would love to get them again maybe one day
Old 22 July 2006, 05:44 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Woodcote
Eibach don't make springs for the sti, have you fitted wrx springs?

Dipster

Last edited by davedipster; 22 July 2006 at 05:47 AM.
Old 31 July 2006, 12:12 PM
Woodcote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by novarally
In what way ?
the ride is now not as harsh and doesn't jar as much over our ****e roads but handles much better than standards springs - but i did get geometry, ALK and ARBs fitted as well
I am sure an AST kit is the way to go and for me that will come later but the Eibachs was a good cheaper compromise.

Dipster - had all this work done at Powerstation so i went with what they fitted. Don'y Eibach make the prodrive spring that Subaru fit as an upgrade and was fitted to the WR1?
Old 31 July 2006, 12:42 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

They do m8, but eibach make lots of springs for other companies like prodrive.

But eibach prodrive springs are made to the customers (prodrives) own specs, also the prodrive springs come with shorter front bump stops on the sti because the suspension will hit the stops on a bumpy road without these shorter stops. Not ideal.

dipster

Last edited by davedipster; 31 July 2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 31 July 2006, 07:24 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I've had the Eibach's fitted to my bugeye WRX too, still with standard shocks, (by Powerstation) and they are excellent, although I do find I have to avoid raised/sunken manholes and potholes to avoid causing the dash to shudder!!

They do make the car handle much better though by removing the body roll when chucking through a succession of bends.

A couple of pics to show the drop before and after (235/40/R18).

Before (crap pic):

After:

Old 01 August 2006, 08:41 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have a set of Eibach lowering springs for sale soon as I'm getting coilovers.

2mnths old done about 1000miles, practically new. Retail at £190, yours for £90.

They are off MY03 WRX so I would guess they would fit straight onto your car... could be wrong tho??
Old 03 August 2006, 09:06 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
I've had the Eibach's fitted to my bugeye WRX too, still with standard shocks, (by Powerstation) and they are excellent, although I do find I have to avoid raised/sunken manholes and potholes to avoid causing the dash to shudder!!

They do make the car handle much better though by removing the body roll when chucking through a succession of bends.

A couple of pics to show the drop before and after (235/40/R18).

Before (crap pic):
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...10-05_1643.jpg

After:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...116800x800.jpg

There is something wrong with the before pic there....that looks little too high on the rear no?

The more i look at my car MY03 STI the more it annoys me....the front just looks too silly!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...gAnch=imgAnch6

So i was thinking about a set of Tein springs, which lower the front more then the rears, which will make the car look level....Prodrives only have near 25mm drop which i dnt think will be enough to cover the holes in the arches...i have heard good things about Tein, however just not got around to having them fitted...

The cash just aint there for Coilovers

Last edited by SamUK; 03 August 2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04 August 2006, 12:19 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Sam

Our springs lower the front more than the rear and this does indeed make the car look level. The reason we 'only' lower it by 20-25mm is that the front suspension doesn't have a huge amount of bump travel and lowering it too much means it just sits on the front bumpstops. We also include new bumpstops in the kit to help with this problem.

Mike
Old 04 August 2006, 12:58 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Mike,

what brand are they?
Old 04 August 2006, 01:20 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

They would be Prodrive

Having had coilovers on my classic and now Prodrive springs on my 06 i know which i prefer.

Why buy springs designed for Japan's roads such as Tein, or Eibach's with a 'generic' drop when you can have Prodrive's springs and bump stops which have been extensively developed on UK roads. Ok they cost a bit more and do not drop the car as much, but if you want cheap springs and the car sat on it's ar$e you should have kept the old classic and joined the rest of the chavs outside McDs in theirs

If you want springs only it's Prodrive all the way for me.

Tony.
Old 04 August 2006, 02:25 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

But from what i have heard prodrives do not lower the fronts more then the rears?
Old 04 August 2006, 05:50 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Sam

Our springs lower the front more than the rear

Mike
Forget what you have 'heard'... its there in black and white from Mike. I presume he knows his own products better than most

Tony.
Old 04 August 2006, 05:54 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Here's a pic of my 06 with Prodrive springs...

As you can see the gap between the arches and tyre looks fairly equal front and rear which backs up what Mike was saying. The springs lower the front more so the bigger gap between the front arch and tyre (as seen on your pics) reduces to the same as the rear... so it looks 'level'.

Tony.
Old 04 August 2006, 08:36 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you think I can still post on the AST groupbuy thread and get the same price

If only!
Old 04 August 2006, 11:07 PM
Chris123
Scooby Regular

Tone - did you find the prodrive springs tamed some of the jiggly ride the 06 STi seems to have ?
Chris
Old 05 August 2006, 08:26 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Chris... i couldn't say as mine is a WRX. However i have heard from Sti owners they have stopped some of the bouncy that appearr on the motorway and they seem far more suited to our roads. Mike would be able to say for sure if he reads this thread again.

Tony.
Old 05 August 2006, 10:48 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Main reason I bought PD springs for my 53 plate WRX was to eliminate the motorway warble, which they did.
Old 05 August 2006, 10:57 PM
Big Sky WRX
Scooby Regular

For lowering springs for the STi w/ the oe dampers you want to look at the STi jdm pink ones- they lower right at 20mm f/r and provide a nice bump up in rates to 45/40 N.

Designed for the oe STi strut, by STi

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/gd...eimage/2-2.jpg

I'd pass on the Eibach's- nice upgrade for the WRX, downgrade for the STi IMO- unless your looking for a cushy ride.

Prodrive doesn't post their rates (which doesn't help a lot), but it appears the lowering might be a little much- lower a Mac P strut too much and performance really starts to degrade.
Old 05 August 2006, 11:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by RLE
Was a passenger in a WRX with the AST set up and it was only then that I realised how the car should have been handling. Would have shown my sti a clean pair of heels thats for sure!

Graphics removed before anyone starts flaming
Heart rate settled down yet Rob

Put the graphics back on
Old 06 August 2006, 04:30 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
Designed for the oe STi strut, by STi
The problem with that being designed by STi for Japan's roads.....

Tony.
Old 06 August 2006, 05:51 PM
Big Sky WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
The problem with that being designed by STi for Japan's roads.....

Tony.
As is the oe strut I think most find the car off the showroom floor slightly overdamped, it's sounds counterintuitive, but firmer springs (and tops) can actually go along way of actually improving the ride quality- obviously performance is bumped a notch as well

Quick Reply: Newage springs