Notices

Fitting Prodrive spring kit

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2006, 01:01 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting Prodrive spring kit

I have recently fitted a set of the red Prodrive springs to my 02 STiUK. I have read lots of problems that folk have experienced, so to my grief I've found I'm getting noises coming from mine.

I have aligned to spring caps as per the OE with the 3 holes facing outward toward the wheel and there seems to be a grinding or creaking sound soming from the front. I even wrapped the lower coil with heatshrink sleeving as there are no rubber seats on the front struts. Seems poor not to have some sort of rubber interface between strut and spring.

Any suggestions as to what is the cause as everything was fine prior to fitting.

ps all nuts torqued up IAW Subaru spec ie 41lb/ft on centre nut and 22 on the 3 nuts holding the strut into the upper body mount.
Old 22 June 2006, 01:29 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I take it you put back in the big grey washer / spacer the correct way up (flat side down) ???

If you didn't use a spring compressor and seated everything first then just wazzed the top nut up then sometimes the sharp edge of the strut can take a nibble out of the top spring seat, the hole is then oval and can rattle.

Andy
Old 22 June 2006, 10:37 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Andy Murdoch I have aligned to spring caps as per the OE with the 3 holes facing outward toward the wheel and there seems to be a grinding or creaking sound soming from the front. I even wrapped the lower coil with heatshrink sleeving as there are no rubber seats on the front struts. Seems poor not to have some sort of rubber interface between strut and spring.

.[/QUOTE]

There is a rubber seating in the top spring cap.
JohnD
Old 08 July 2006, 10:34 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hopefully cured the problem: the tapered washer that sits on top of the spring cap was upside down and hence grabbing the outside of the top bearing, restricting movement.

I didn't get any instructions with the Prodrive Kit but have been told these are supplied for MY53 onwards?

The important bit is to line the middle of the three holes in the spring cap with the outer side of the strut (ie pointing toward the wheel). The tapered washer should be fitted with the tapered side to the top. The front strut has a rubber seating for the top side of the spring only.

MY53 onward struts were modified with a larger bottom seating lip for the spring and drainage holes drilled round the periphery. The lower spring coil also has a grey rubber sleeving fitted to it. (this doesn't show up in the dealer parts microfiche).

The top stiffnut should be torqued to 41ft/lb and the top mount should be able to spin freely by finger touch before fitting. No orientation on this top mount going into the chassis.

Easy when you know how!

Next problem: the Prodrive recommended front camber setting is -1, 25', the graduation setting on the camber bolt are 10' for each mark, therefore how do you set it to -1 25'?

Tyre press settings are 32psi front and 30psi rear.
Old 08 July 2006, 11:14 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Without having an alignment rig attatched I'd say it was near impossible to use the graduation marks on the bolts.

Good to hear it was the spacer the wrong way up anyway.
As you say, easy when you know how.

Powerstation have changed the tyre pressures after long term testing on thier classic Sti-5 noting better wear characteristics using 36 front and 34 rear. (this was carried out on toyos)

Andy

Andy