Notices

STI rear suspension probs!

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2006, 05:02 PM
stisye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI rear suspension probs!

anyone come across a banging on the rear suspesion? i went in to my local dealer with this prob to find both the rear struts need replacing only at 15k and told it was a common fault on the sti. luckerly the car is still in warranty! wondered if anyone else has come accross this prob?
Old 07 May 2006, 06:20 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

What MY mate?
It's common problem on rear STI units especially if you use rarely your car as the grease won't achieve working temp in order to lubricate enough the piston!
Have fitted some grease nipples in mine and I add every 7-10K Kms some special suspension grease so after 45K kms they haven't any noise problem, time will show but with this method the grease always is in touch with the piston even the winter with cold weather.
Old 07 May 2006, 09:52 PM
stisye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JIM THEO
What MY mate?
It's common problem on rear STI units especially if you use rarely your car as the grease won't achieve working temp in order to lubricate enough the piston!
Have fitted some grease nipples in mine and I add every 7-10K Kms some special suspension grease so after 45K kms they haven't any noise problem, time will show but with this method the grease always is in touch with the piston even the winter with cold weather.
Thanks JIM THEQ i'll look in to getting that done dont want this prob happening again!
Old 08 May 2006, 10:21 PM
ghplumb
Scooby Regular

Same thing on mine 54 reg 16 k starts clunking when pulling away . waiting to go into dealers for 2 Struts
warranty
Old 08 May 2006, 10:49 PM
imprezarb5
Scooby Regular

mine was in last week for a replacement strut, the other rear was done a couple of months ago. Dealer stated that they still were not entirely happy with it, and upon ringing Subaru technical were told that a further modified part had been developed. Now waiting for a call to have the pair of modified parts fitted.
Old 09 May 2006, 11:27 AM
Woodcote
Scooby Regular

had both rears replaced under warranty on my 03 STi before it reached 30k
Subaru did not argue they just did the work
Old 11 May 2006, 10:42 PM
stisye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezarb5
mine was in last week for a replacement strut, the other rear was done a couple of months ago. Dealer stated that they still were not entirely happy with it, and upon ringing Subaru technical were told that a further modified part had been developed. Now waiting for a call to have the pair of modified parts fitted.
Just had the new strutts fitted on warranty this week the cars sound now but do you think thay would be the moddified parts??