Notices

AST sportline at the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2006, 12:38 PM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AST sportline at the Nurburgring

Just come back from the ring and i just have to say that the AST's are great, an unbeliveable set of coilovers for the money. I picked mine up from the scoobyclinic in chesterfield (im sure they came from powerstation) and i fitted them the night before i went to Germany......didnt manage a laser alignment but with my steel rule and piece of tubing i managed to come back with all my tyres wearing evenly....im going to get it done an a laser rig soon....Think i might get some springs just for the ring as the 50/40's i Have are a good compromise i reckon theres a better setup to be had by upping the spring rate for the track, and lets face it, it doesnt take long to change them over.
I didnt even fit the subframe locking bolts, i didnt feel the need the setup was that good, i only raised the rear a bit as the spring rate was a little soft for the punishing track. I also fitted Whiteline ARB's and they seemd to do their job very well indeed!

Im now a very happy owner, when i got the car it was a little tired and thought i'd made a big mistake after swapping my MR2 Turbo for it but now im happy!!!

Gaz.
Old 03 May 2006, 12:51 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try 60/50 N/mm and get it well aligned and it will be another leap forward.
Graham
Old 03 May 2006, 01:13 PM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

What alignment settings would you recommend Graham? I dont mind replacing the tyres every year! I really didnt expect to come back with any from the last trip but the yokohama parada spec 2's seem to be a good choice!!
Old 03 May 2006, 06:29 PM
Scooby Regular

Gaz:
Difficult to answer as it depends on what 'equipment' you have on the car!
Go to Fuzz's project thread, about last page and he has his 'radical' settings shown.
I think these settings are good, but note the caster he has.
I think i have a bit more, but can't remember. I might have 7 ish degrees.
This makes my car turn-in and grip well on tight hill climb bends.

Those settings of Andy's are good in my opinion.(he/Powerstation know much more than i do)

they might get to the tyres though, but who cares if GRIP is what you want (need?)
Graham
Old 04 May 2006, 12:23 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Just to make it easier to find being as this isn't 22b.com
http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...44;p=13#000488

It's a test setup at the mo but not that radically different.
It went to the MOT station the other day via the "back roads" and I think I can say it grips
I went for a little toe out on the rear as I still feel mine understeers, although the front still needs work in the toe department (playing with the bumpsteer mod )

Andy
Old 04 May 2006, 12:03 PM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

Graham im not running any fancy equipment as such just whitelines usual bolt on mods although i havnt yet put the ALK on yet!! I did have the luxury of owning two cars until recently but now im gonna have to use the wrx as a daily driver....i dont mind swapping between setups from road to track ...id rather try that than compromise either way...be good if i could dial in an alignment setting for the track and then go back to a previous setting for the daily commute....as well as changing the springs at the track for some harder ones, and then back again for some comfy ones!! maybe someone on here does a similar thing already? well thanks guys for your input!

Gaz.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:01 PM
Scooby Regular

You have no chance of doing all that, BUT, neither should you need to.

Fit the parts i've said, get it well aligned by someone like Power Station.
That will do for the road and track.

Thw whiteline rear bar is adjustable, and you might like to change the rate at the track from the road position.

I drive my Sti v3 will all the racing mods on it to the track, check the tyre pressures, and race.
Then drive home.
I change nothing at all.

Just a thought,
Graham