Notices

EARLY SIGNS OF SHOCK ABSORBER FAILURE ON STI?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2006, 06:22 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy EARLY SIGNS OF SHOCK ABSORBER FAILURE ON STI?

Please see my car details opposite.

My car was in for its 20k service a couple of weeks ago at the Subaru Dealers. Since then, I have noticed a few strange symptoms whch I consider may be down to the rear shock absorbers failing which I understand is a common complaint on these cars.

At first, I thought one of my rear brakes was sticking slightly as it felt something like that when I was pulling away/ stopping. I monitored the brake dust/ temperature of the discs and then discounted this theory as all seemed well. The symptom was almost like driving with a heavy and loose weight in the backseat???????????? If you know what I mean.......Latterly, I have noticed a light click/ knocking noise from the rear. I understand from the previous owner that the rear shock absorbers have not yet been replaced under warranty which I also understand is quite unusual.

So what do you guys think? I will be taking it down to the dealers shortly and so will get it sorted (hopefuly under warranty - even although it has Prodrive springs, a rear strut brace and 18" PFF7's) however I just wanted to monitor it first and hopefuly correctly diagnose exactly what the problem is. Thanks in advance.
Old 10 April 2006, 09:41 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Open the rear struts the soonest possible and lubricate them with special white silicon grease...done!
Old 12 April 2006, 12:36 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by JIM THEO
Open the rear struts the soonest possible and lubricate them with special white silicon grease...done!
If this becomes a warranty issue, I do not really want to be tampering them first for fear of voiding the warranty.

So what's broken then?