Prodrive springs and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2006, 01:23 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive springs and shocks

My girlfiend and I have recently purchaced a MY03 STI PPP

The dealer that sold it to us (Non-Subaru dealer) said the car has prodrive springs and shocks. He also claims these cost £1000 new.

Doe's anyone know anything about the shocks as I can only find info on the springs when using the search

Mike
Old 20 March 2006, 04:41 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

There aren't shocks for new age cars from Prodrive except Group N versions but I guess you didn't buy a Group N car...
Old 20 March 2006, 08:58 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

As Jim says, the Prodrive springs are designed to be used with the standard shocks and no way come to a grand - maybe two hundred quid plus fitting and maybe geometry setup - 4/500 quid tops.

There are non-Prodrive coilover sets from the likes of Ohlins, AST etc and these could be expensive. The Ohlins stuff was quite when I enquired a while back (remember that saga, Jim? )

Andy
Old 20 March 2006, 10:40 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

How can I forget it mate?
I ended up with Spec C struts - Prodrive springs and believe me for my needs and our poor/uneven roads is perfect combo with sufficient travel!
Old 21 March 2006, 09:07 AM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

Like evryone has said, there are no such things as Prodrive shocks for the standard car.

The prodrive spring kit is exactly that, springs and bump stops.

You will have to be slightly careful though as I found out, the standard STI shocks on MY02/03/04 cars are not fully compatible with the springs, from what I can gather, the brushes wear more quickly on the shocks with the prodrive springs fitted.

I have just had both rear shocks replaced (under warranty on MY04), Subaru solved this with a slight re-design of the shocks by putting longer brushes in them which are now used as standard.

After replacement though, I found my rear end went from a bit wobbly and cluncky to hard as iron.

As far as 1000 is concerned, I think they were telling you a few porky pies, through a subaru dealer it would cost you about 4/500 quid including fitting and full gemoetry adjustment.
Old 21 March 2006, 11:02 AM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Thanks for clearing this up gents.

I was told that the car was originally a demonstrator and was fitted with the 'prodrive' suspension and PPP when bought by the first private owner at 1000 miles.

The (non-Subaru) dealer told me that he was informed by the local Subaru dealer (who serviced the car) said the rear shocks were replaced under warranty. I guess from this that the prodrive springs have been fitted but I an mot sure what shocks the car has. I will have to have a look when I pick the car up on Saturday.

I understand that the Subaru garage told the dealer that the shocks were also uprated from standard, but the car is still under warranty? Any ideas what shocks they may be?

Thanks

Mike
Old 21 March 2006, 12:22 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

You will have to be slightly careful though as I found out, the standard STI shocks on MY02/03/04 cars are not fully compatible with the springs, from what I can gather, the brushes wear more quickly on the shocks with the prodrive springs fitted.

I have just had both rear shocks replaced (under warranty on MY04), Subaru solved this with a slight re-design of the shocks by putting longer brushes in them which are now used as standard.
This isn't brushes problem but inverted shock design on it's own, especially in our cars where the rear shocks seat with some bevel and most of the lateral forces act at the point where the piston enters the shock!
I have fitted in mine grease nipples to keep lubricated the shocks inside and they stopped bore me!
JIM

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2006, 07:21 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terzo204
Thanks for clearing this up gents.

I was told that the car was originally a demonstrator and was fitted with the 'prodrive' suspension and PPP when bought by the first private owner at 1000 miles.

The (non-Subaru) dealer told me that he was informed by the local Subaru dealer (who serviced the car) said the rear shocks were replaced under warranty. I guess from this that the prodrive springs have been fitted but I an mot sure what shocks the car has. I will have to have a look when I pick the car up on Saturday.

I understand that the Subaru garage told the dealer that the shocks were also uprated from standard, but the car is still under warranty? Any ideas what shocks they may be?

Thanks

Mike

Any ideas anyone?

p.s I have no idea what Jim's on about!

Last edited by terzo204; 22 March 2006 at 09:16 AM.