rear shock failure after 6 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2006, 12:58 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear shock failure after 6 weeks

Hi folks,

Just recently fitted some KYB AGX shocks to rear of my MY00 and the rear nearside has already failed after 6 weeks ( rebound is much slower and not controlling the spring compared to the offside ) . This comes straight after what felt like a very quick deterioration of the previous rear nearside shock ( that was only on for 18 months max anyway)

Im just pondering what to do next - I guess it could it be just unlucky and I have a duff shock. or perhaps the spring has lost some of its tension ( 4 year old Eibach prokit ). Possible considering short life of previous set as well?

The only other thing i can think is i have MY01 wheels fitted + whiteline 22mm ARB fitted - could the combination of a stiffer rear arm and these wheels ( if they are heavier that standard MY00 wheels ..?) be too much for the combination for these shocks with Eibachs?

Im also now thinking of replacing the Eibachs for some Tein S springs to see if this cures the problem. Does anyone know the comparative spring rates of these to Eibachs..or just have tein info?

This is really confusing and frustrating as I dont do any trackdays ( or rallying ) in it, but then again it does get driven enthusiacally all the time.

Any suggestions or input are welcome
Cheers
Rich