Notices

Clunk Click every trip

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2006, 11:27 AM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk Click every trip

I have searched the treads extensively and this problem has been posted a few times, many probable causes documented and explained, but I can't seem to find out exactly what poeple did to solve or corrective the problem.

Car: MY04 STI Type UK, Prodrive Spring Kit. 12,500 miles on the clock, springs fitted at around 5,000 miles, problem has started very recently.

Problem: muted clunking sound (not metallic or rattle sound) from rear near side suspension when slowing and stopping, doesn't matter how hard or soft I brake. Also it sometimes feels like the car suddenly drops a few mm.

The possible causes I have read are:
1. Worn brushes
2. Cracked top mount
3. Bent shock getting stuck under the damper under comnpression and then popping out.
4. worn, cracked, bent ball joint, drive shaft casued by CV joint leakage.
5. Spring Kit not fitted properly

Solutions are possibly replace under warranty by dealer , or get used to it becuase its a re-occuring design fault with prodrive springs that no one can seem to solve.

As I said, The problem seems to be common, but I cannot conclude on exactly what is the prognosis or cure.

Its going into the garage on Friday morning and I don't want them fobing me off with 'loose boot catches' or 'known problem Subaru/Prodrive are looking into it' and all that cobblers, when there might be a known definitive solution.

Can anyone help or refer me to the right thread if possible.
Old 15 March 2006, 06:46 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

Got the same problem with my MY03 STi.

Having read this thread
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=462461

The solution appears to be new struts and top mounts under warrenty and that Subaru are aware of the problem. Mines booked in for next week at the dealers though they said they would need to investigate before ordering the parts.

It does make you wonder why there hasn't been a recall to fix this problem if it is known of by Subaru??

Oh well....will wait to see if this cures the problem as no one has posted back on the thread after having the work done to say if it solved it or not.

Cheers Rob
Old 16 March 2006, 09:10 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

I had the noise appear on my 02 sti when I had the springs fitted. Had it back loads of times, even had new bearings and shocks, but still got the damn problem. I have give up and just live with it !!
Old 21 March 2006, 09:22 AM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

The car went in to Subaru (CVC Cardiff) last Friday morning, they fitted new shocks which I think have been slightly re-designed to be more compatible with the prodrive springs.

From what I have gathered the prodrive springs were not fully compatible with the STI shocks and it seems that the original shocks wear alot more quickly.

They told me that the shocks were knackered and replaced them, there and then under warranty.

Before the replacements my rear end was cluncky and a bit wobbly, now there is not even the slightest noise coming from them so its seems to have solved the problem.

But I've noticed the rear end is as hard as iron, afterwards I took the car for a spirited spin through the As and Bs and it felt wonderful, but my CD stacker in the boot didn't seem to cope with it, but I'd rather have a problem with that than the suspension!
Old 23 March 2006, 05:48 PM
Paul .G
Scooby Regular

Are the new struts now fixing the problem for good?
Seem to remember some people having the problem again after the replacement.
I have got a JDM 03STi with the same knocking, so want to be sure purchasing a new set will fix the problem

Paul
Old 23 March 2006, 07:19 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul .G
Are the new struts now fixing the problem for good?
Seem to remember some people having the problem again after the replacement.
I have got a JDM 03STi with the same knocking, so want to be sure purchasing a new set will fix the problem

Paul
Could always go for the AST set up Paul.
Old 24 March 2006, 10:28 AM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

Only time will tell if this has permanently solved the problem.

After I picked the car up I went for a drive for over an hour (and half a tank of petrol) though some country roads around my way and I threw the car around a bit.

Before when the knocking was there, on a similar drive the back end felt a little bit wobbly and stepped out a couple of times

After the shocks were replaced the back end was as hard as concrete and as sure footed as a mounting goat.

It did feel like a new car.

I'll keep you posted.