Notices

Worth replacing ARB bushes?

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2001, 08:49 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

At the last service, the mechanic reported that the near side drop-link on my MY98 was worn. I presume that this is the same as the ARB link and it is the integral rubber bushes which are worn. With its increasing age, my scoob has become a little sloppy around corners to the extent that the excessive lean, I think, causes understeer in the dry (as well the wet). The handling in the past has been very good and until about 6 months ago, I almost never experienced understeer. For this reason, I doubt whether the bump steer mod would fix the present handling fault.

I've been looking at the previous threads and am confused about how to improve handling. Money is tight at the moment so I don't want to spend much. For this reason, Eibach springs or an uprated anti-roll bar are not an option at present. Will simply replacing the ARB bushes (with Powerflex) make a significant difference or am I better off waiting until I can afford the above.

D.
Old 18 October 2001, 08:26 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

In short yes. Replace the rear ARB bushes with uprated ones but it would be worth also replacing the drop links with solid ones (the OE ones are nasty flexi plastic ). Probably worth replacing the rear ARB mounts as well as these are known to flex under heavy use.

Rule of thumb, the stiffer you make the rear end (ooeeerrr misses ), the more the car will lean towards a tendancy for oversteer (no pun intended )

Matt
Old 18 October 2001, 09:29 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Which bushes normally need to be replaced?

I've looked at the Powerflex website and I suspect that its the ARB link bushes (4 of them) which I will need, although I'm not sure how you can tell which ones are worn. There are also 2 bushes attached to the ARB itself at either side. Do these typically wear out?

Thanks.

D.
Old 06 November 2001, 02:13 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I replaced the rear ARB link bushes about 2 weeks ago (with Powerflex) - relatively straight forward job, the most difficult bit was removing the old rubber bushes.

Has made a big difference especially with higher speed corners. Car seems much more stable and predictable. I still get terminal understeer in the wet but I'm convinced that this is due to the tyres (PZero - worst wet tyre ever).

D.
Old 08 November 2001, 10:44 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

not as bad as avon ZZ1's, they cause me so much understeer in the wet grief it's incredible.

toyos rule though basically i love em.